Chapter 15: End Part 4

Start from the beginning

It was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Author's army advanced on Laila. She was on her horse, wearing her dark blue, royal armor. "King Author, I challenge you to a Monarch Dual!" she shouted in desperation, as everyone froze in shock.

A Monarch Dual was an honor among all kingdoms. A battle that everyone takes seriously, created by the first Emperor to try to minimalize casualties among inevitable wars.

There are only 5 rules.

1) Only rulers of kingdoms can participate.

2) All participants must sign a Royal Contract to make this legitimate.

3) Each participant can only have one weapon and one weapon only. Armor is allowed.

4) No one else can intervene.

5) The winner gets the loser's kingdom.

The Royal Contract was a special contract that all participants of the Monarch Dual must sign. That way it is physical proof of the outcome of the dual, not biased witnesses who could easily change to truth.

The specially crafted parchment will glow gold when the rules are not broken, and the name of the winner will turn silver. But it will turn black if any of the rules are broken, with the name of the one who broke it will turn blood red.

Now, there was no punishment if someone broke these rules. But the severe, negative social impact will be grim.

Who would hire a knight who intervened in something sacred as a Monarch Dual?

Who would follow a king that is too cowardly to accept the challenge?

Who would be dumb enough to do it?

No one.

"We are both allowed a weapon of any kind!" she said, showing off her enchanted diamond longsword.

"I accept!" he shouted. "I'll send my messenger with the Royal Contract!"

It was then the royal messenger arrived to Liala via boat, with Author's name already signed. Liala signed it, and after a few hours of building a large wood platform near the kingdom for everyone to witness.

Both rulers stood on this platform, both in their royal armor and horse. Except that Author's horse didn't have any armor, and he didn't have a weapon on him!

"I guess you were too poor to afford a decent weapon." She sneered. "At least you didn't disgrace the Monarch Dual."

"..." Author didn't say anything, just holding the reins as he stared out of his visor, his armor covering every inch of his body as he was still.

She let out an arrogant 'Hmph.' "Too scared to speak are you?"

"..."

"Be prepared to taste humiliation!" shouted Liala as she charged with here sword drawn, both horses charging at each other.

Everyone was tense as they were scared, watching their king charging with no weapon, watching Liala's enchanted diamond longsword pierce through the armor, through Author's chest. But that is not why they are scared.

Because the really scary part of the entire thing? This was going exactly as War planned.

But what is even more surprisingly terrifying? That wasn't Author, it is a dummy tied upright on a horse.