Chapter 21

Warning! Be ready for some detailed trauma. I'm sorry in advance for scarring you  🙏

______________________________

There they are...

Now.

He has all the faith in the world that his team could pull this off but he just couldn't sit behind his desk and let this opportunity slide. Derrick, that son of a bitch. He should've known he had a hand in this. He could never let sleeping dogs lie; once his mind was made up, that was the end of it. Thinking back he should've killed him when he had the chance, Derrick begged even. Yet, the sweet hysterics of suffering was always soothing to his ear. After the slaughter fest found in his former family home, he hadn't heard a peep from him since; was this close to thinking he'd fallen off the face of the universe but most infections don't work that way - once you've caught it, it's recurring and will stick with you for life.

"Sir."

He was brought out of his thoughts with the address, them waiting on him for their next move. After all, everything is in his hands when he's around. He stood tall, perched firmly on the edge of a hill, the wind showing no mercy to their presence as it nipped at their exposed skin and harshly fluttered their clothes and gear. "Parameters?"

"All clear."

"Positions?"

"Safe and secure."

"Their movements?"

"Last seen heading in to the house. Sir, it's only the girl and the woman; no sign of him."

"Doesn't matter. We just want them."

A nod of agreement to the reasoning. They came for one thing and one thing only, and they're in that house. This is going to be good.

"Ready when you are, sir."

"Really? Then let's go say hi."

*****

This is not good.

She can't see them but she can definitely feel it. Danger. Her old friend from back in the day. You'd think that after all these years, that specific intuition would've worn off - dulled overtime - but it's still as sharp as ever; they would've stayed out longer if Athena wasn't feeling this way. Still keeping up the happy front, she lured Adelia back into the house with the promise of burger and fries for lunch but she'll have to clear the air quickly.

"Auntie Thee, you're scaring me."

The sharp rosebud has drawn blood, quickly expecting answers for her uneasiness and uncanny ability to read the room. "Something bad is about to happen. I feel it. We don't have much time."

As Athena power walked around the house making a mental list of and attaining said items of what she needs to keep Adelia safe. She condensed her feelings in the simplest form to Ali so that she could quickly understand the situation even though she knows her comprehensive skills are above average. Ali trailed closely behind her picking up what Athena pointed at as well as a few things to keep her occupied as she hid. Satisfied, Athena dragged them to the hallway then kneeled down in front of Ali.

"Remember the other day when you almost gave auntie Thee a heart attack because you hid so well?" She nodded. "Well, I want you to go there and don't move until Uncle Derrick or I come for you, do you understand me?" She nodded again.

Knocking the floorboards until she heard the telltale signs of hollowness, she lifted the loose boards before kicking the emergency bag into the hole and signalling for Adelia to jump in. Once settled, she re-secured the floor, kicked off her shoes and went to the kitchen to quickly grab a couple of  knives that so nicely sat in its display and tucking them around her body while keeping one secured in her hand. Familiarity flowed through her as memories long buried surfaced. Her hand trembled as she gripped the handle tighter; it sucks that they might have to be marred with human blood but no one is taking Adelia, that much she will promise Tilly - wherever the hell she is...