Chapter 5

Tilly gasped then coughed violently as a splash of freezing cold water was dumped on the top of her head bringing her out her unconscious state. How long has she been out this time? She doesn't know but the situation is all too familiar: bound by her wrists above her head, black and purple bruises litter her body from top to bottom, bloody streaks smeared down from the side of her head to her throat all dry and crusted over, and most likely a few cracked ribs. When was the last time she had cracked ribs as bad as now? Oh that's right, when she found out she was carrying Adelia.

In that very second, she knew she wasn't going to subject her baby to the life she was stuck in so as soon as the opportunity arose, she fled like a bat out of hell. It was struggle to find a place as cheap as economically possible given that no one would hire her in her state. Yet, by some miracle, she made it by landing two jobs with benefits and maternity leave. She smiled at the hell Ali gave her during birth. If Tilly wasn't in so much pain, she would've ripped Adelia out herself. She realize now that if she ever were the get pregnant again, an epidural would be administered even before she steps foot into a hospital.

"The fuck are you smiling for?" A deep familiar voice echoed in the room. He must have been the one to douse her back to life.

"Thinking John. Just thinking."

"Oh yeah? About what? How it's over for you if you don't give him what he wants."

"No. I was thinking about how you literally got your ass whooped by me as punishment for losing at Double Dutch." That earned her a slap.

"And now look who's getting whooped." A punch to the solar plexus had her dry-heaving, spit being the only product of his action. The sound of footfalls entered into her holding cell adding a different tune to the sounds of being punched, slapped and thrown around.

"John? Leave." An equally familiar and chilling voice spoke. John straightened, fixed his suit, bowed to the new gentleman and exited the cell. The new guy crossed the room and pulled what sounded like a wooden chair against the stone floor and probably took a seat. What? Tilly can't see too well with her eyes giving ping pong balls competition in size and eggplants competition in colour.  "Where is she?"

"I told you before."

"Don't bullshit me."

"I'm not lying."

"We both know that's your biggest skill."

"Why would I lie about a miscarriage!?"

"A lack of documentation attest to it."

"A lot of people go accounted for all the time. You, of all people, know that."

"Then you, of all people, know I wouldn't let this situation become a statistic."

"Since when did you grow a heart?"

"No time for jokes Tilly."

"It was a serious question."

Realizing that he's not getting anything out of her today again, he got up and left slamming the door hard behind indicating his frustration with Tilly. Tilly smiled inwardly, she thought she'd soften ever since the birth of Adelia but felt better that she still had the backbone she grew from the courage she gathered when running away five years ago. A phantom cough punctuated the now silent room telling Tilly that she is really dehydrated. She could really used some water. As soon as the thought formed, the door creaked open and she sighed heavily...if you consider grumbling a sigh.

"Can't a girl catch a break around here?" Only footsteps were her response, though, these footsteps sound lighter than normal. Must be a woman. "Did you come to practice your jabs on me too? I must say, you're making your regular normal punching bag jealous." A soft hand gently grabbed her chin and turned to each side of her face probably as an inspection. A light whoosh of air hit Tilly in the face smelling of mint. Something pressed against her lips and tentatively opened her mouth before choking out a sob when tasting the cool refreshing splash of water going down her practically dead throat. But just as quickly as it came did  it go pulling out a groan but was replaced with a cool towel systematically touching places of her skin.

"Always with the snarky remarks. Still don't know how my brother came to like you."

"You put me in the same room as him Chels, and I regret every second of it."

"Don't say that -"

"Did he send you down here? I don't care how close we are; my statement still stands."

Chelsea sighed, "no, I came here of my own volition. To think I'd see my friend like this after five years."

"Yeah well, reunions ain't shit."

"You know my brother still loves you."

"And I just love the way he shows it."

"You know he would never hurt you. Judging by the bruises, this seems to be more of John's handy work."

"I thought I could like the bastard, but you can't fake disdain."

"Doesn't help that you annoy him every chance you get."

"Not my fault he has a bull's eye practically tattooed on his forehead."

"And a 'kick me' sign on his ass."

Tilly laughed remembering Chelsea painted "kick me" on the ass of John's pants with nail polish when he was asleep on duty and, when he woke up, nothing but boots to ass because everyone was taking a jab and not giving a reason. "Good times."

Chelsea shuffled to her feet. "I gotta go before someone loses their head over me disappearing. As much as I want to stay with you, I'd rather it not be down here."

"And it was just getting fun."

"Please Tilly, don't push him."

"Then you've got the wrong Tilly."

Chelsea sighed before picking up the empty bottle of water and now bloodied towel. She knows Tilly can be stubborn, she just hopes that she doesn't lose her life over it. Her only friend...

__________________

I'll write for you soon _(:3」∠)_

~Kimmie~