16: her

Kendall

I called everyone I knew to get my flight as quickly as possible. But I had to wait 12 hours for the next one.

I hadn't sleep in what it felt it was a decade. My sleeping pills were looking at me but I decided to ignore them, how was I supposed to sleep?

Kylie insisted to come with me, and so did the rest of my family but this was my thing, I didn't want them there. Four hours later I was landing on Val's country, I could see the huge mountains as we were descending; everything was so green and beautiful.

I took me forever to get out the airport. I searched for the red shirt and the face I had seen at Val's apartment. There she was, looking as an older version of my girlfriend, next to a really tall man.

"Emilia" I asked

"Kendall" she said with a high pitched voice

I smiled a little

They introduced themselves and we walked to the car. I was going to see Val after 6 months and I didn't know what to think or what to expect.

The black suburban was waiting for us in the parking lot, the ride ending being a little uncomfortable as I decided to tell Emilia everything I had been through these months.

In a little more than an hour we were arriving to a huge hospital called "Esperanza" (hope)

The huge white building made anxious, I loathed hospitals. They were the keepers of my worst fears.

We got off the car, as her husband, Carlos, searched for a spot in the parking lot.

We walked through the halls and stopped in front of a light blue door.

"Here it is" Emilia said and I had to close my eyes to remind myself the love of my life was on the other side, alive.

As soon as we entered my soul shattered in a billion pieces. She was there, lying on a white bed, her hair was longer and the dark roots were showing, her skin was hugging her bones tightly, her cheekbones showed sharply and her fingers looked like little sticks.

"Val" I whispered not believing it was her

"Val" I said louder and threw myself at her, I kissed her face and held her body, and I missed her skin and everything about her.

"Oh baby" I sobbed against her chest, she looked so pale

"I've missed you so much" I cried a little harder, this was it. For 6 months I had been waiting for this, to see her, feel her skin and the warmth irradiating from her.

But she was stone cold, this was not the way I imagined seeing her again, I would rather chase her for forgiveness than looking at her almost lifeless body.