ix. grief pt.i

||CHAPTER NINE||
'GRIEF PART I'

Once the rest of the pack got home from breakfast, turns out they also burnt Pete and were able to get his ashes home, we all stood around the fern and had a drink to honour Pete

I glance over at Nick trying to hide my disappointment when we looks away quickly when our eyes meet for only a second. Nick and I haven't even looked at each other since the whole event that only occurred half an hour ago.

"In the tradition of Pack members before us, and Pack members that will follow, we come together today to bid farewell to one of our own." Jeremy began. "Pete, uh... was one of a kind. He squeezed the most out of life every day and night. We were blessed to be your family." Jeremy continued, explaining what Pete meant to him. He then raised his glass in honour.

"I have so many... wonderful memories of Pete. This life, it... hasn't always been easy for me, but... somehow Pete always knew the right thing to say to get me through." I looked at Elena who was standing to my right and smiled sadly knowing she was right.

I then turned my head to the left to my brother who decided to speak up next. "Pete made everyone around him happier. I'm going to miss the hell out of you. Your death won't be in vain." Clay told us, also raising his glass. I wrapped my arm around Clay's waist and snuggled in closer to him, comforting him as best as I could.

Elena started to speak but I was focused on the sound of leaves being crushed further into the ground from the weight of someone walking on them. I turned to everyone who also paused when we heard a wolf howl in the distance.

"I'm betting it's the Mutt who killed Pete." Nick mutters turning to everyone.

"Son of a bitch is taunting us" I tell them, setting my glass on the table. Everyone soon follows suit. Jeremy quickly takes of his jacket and tells us where to go before the mutt could get away.

"Antonio, you, Nick, Ellie and Logan come around from the east, we'll come in from the west" Jeremy tells the four of us before everyone splits up.

I over run the other three men, sprinting through the woods at inhuman speed. I followed the mutts scent, continuing to run. I could feel the others catching up quickly, we were all determined to find the person who killed Pete.

I slowed down when I started to lose the scent of the wolf. I stopped once I realised I was in front of Jeremy, Clay and Elena. I leaned against a tree out of breath from all the sprinting.

 I leaned against a tree out of breath from all the sprinting