iii. run in with the cops

||CHAPTER THREE||
'RUN IN WITH THE COPS'

I lay my head against the side of the bath as I hum along to a random song playing from the speakers of my phone

I lay my head against the side of the bath as I hum along to a random song playing from the speakers of my phone. I've only been here for three hours and yet a bath is exactly what I need right now to calm down.

I heard my familiar ring tone echo the walls of the small bathroom. I wiped my hand with a towel and reached down to grab it. I didn't even bother checking the caller ID.

"Hello" I answer, leaning back against the tub.

"Hey babe." Adam greets.

"Oh hey, what's up?" I ask as I take a swing from my bottle of beer.

"Just checking in, how's your cousin and his wife?" He asks concerned.

I sit up, shit I forgot about that. "It's not looking good, I'm not sure when I'll be home." I lie to him, putting on a saddened voice.

"I hope you're okay." He checks.

"Yeah, all my family is here so they're talking care of me." I continue to lie.

"Hey babe!" I hear a girls voice through the phone.

"Who was that?" I snap at Adam.

I hear a quick 'fuck' and a sigh. "Nobody" Adam lies.

"You're a fucking asshole Adam, have a good fucking life." I snap at him before disconnecting the call.

I throw my phone onto the table beside me and lie my head back again while placing my hand on my forehead. This was going to be a long week. I was just starting to relax again when someone came barging into the bathroom.

"What the fuck Nick?!?!!" I yell at Nick trying to cover my body.

"Oh calm down, come on my dad, you and me are going into town to collect Pete. Get changed quickly." He tells me while leaving the room.

********

Nick, Antonio and I were sitting in the diner waiting for Pete's bus to arrive. Nick was eating a slice of pie while Antonio and I opted for just coffee. We were mainly sitting in silence, only small conversation between the three of us.

"Pete's bus is officially late." Nick breaks the silence.

I turn to look at the clock. Before reach over and taste a bit of Nick's pie when I noticed he wasn't paying attention.

"Seriously?" He mutters at me.

"What, I'm hungry." I smile at him sweetly.

I glance at Nick from the corner of my eye and admire him quietly. All I want to do is tell him how I feel but I know I'm just another friend. I looked over to see Antonio looking at the family in the other room. He then takes out his wallet throwing money onto the table.

"Let's wait for Pete's bus outside." He tells us while moving to get out of the booth.

I push Nick, I couldn't get out until he did but he wouldn't budge. "Nick move your fat ass." I continue to push him.

"Excuse me I do not have a fat ass." He replies sassily.

Few seconds later he finally gets up and we make our way over to Antonio. When we reach him we realise that the police are taking to him. This can't be good if the police were trying to involve themselves in our business.

"I've seen you around town a couple of times over the years, we've never officially met." The women tells Antonio reaching over to shake his hand.

"Antonio Sorrentino and this is my son Nick and his girlfriend Ellie Danvers." Antonio introduces us, but Nick and I avoid eye contact. "We're close friends with the Danvers."

"You're Jeremy's daughter right?" The women asked me.

"Yeah, I just moved home from New York." I actually told her the truth.

"Why did you move back?" She asks me suspiciously. I turned my attention to the floor.

"Missing home." I lie, looking up from the floor.

"Hunting pals say they saw wolves up on your property

"Hunting pals say they saw wolves up on your property." The young looking officer said.

"If there is a wolf settling up there we're going to have to go up and have a look." The sheriff tells us.

"Of course." Antonio agrees.

"We've all heard wolves up there before." That guy officer is very suspicious.

"Yeah, they pass through but they keep on the move, ya know." Nick tries to calm their suspicions.

"Well we just wanna resolve the problem, I just got word another girl went missing. That's a lot for a town were nothing normally happens." The women officer tells us.

"Hey!" We were interrupted by Pete coming into the diner.

"We eating here? I'm starving." Pete laughs. "Ah my girl" Pete jokes pulling me into his arms, once Nick pulled us over to him.

"We are heading home." Antonio tells us while pushing us towards the door. He turns back around.

"We are eager to help out in what ever way we can." Antonio sends them a fake smile.

"Appreciate that"