CHAPTER 53 (part two)

Start from the beginning

He finally accepted Blake. Heck, he had always accepted Blake.

“Sure as hell,” he told me in that country accent as he winked.

I hugged him by the side. “I love you, dad.”

“I love you too, princess.”

My heart swelled in happiness and contentment and satisfaction and overall gratefulness.

Laying my head back on my dad’s shoulder, I closed my eyes and fell asleep to his singing of Annie’s song.

***

“Could you go faster, Nicolle?”

“Alright! Alright!”

I rolled my eyes at Macey who was seated on the couch, playing with that little keychain hanging on her bag. I tied my Chucks swiftly. After I wore my bonnie, Macey and I went out of my room only to see Billy playing with my brother.

“Good morning!” he greeted, his eyes still fixed on the TV screen.

“Hey!” I chirped back.

I took a pack of chips on the coffee table and then grabbed Billy by the back of his hoodie.

“Hey!” he complained. “That hoodie’s new!”

“Come on, Billy. Wouldn’t wanna be late for class.”

When we were at the front porch, Billy and Macey stopped and looked at me in apprehension.

“What’s with the faces?” I asked.

They exchanged looks, still looking a bit uneasy. “Nicolle, it’s not—“

I cut Billy’s sentence and said, “I thought you were going to pick me up for the last day of classes before winter break?”

“It’s already December 30th , Nicolle. And you’re not studying in here, anymore.”

At the end of the statement, my vision blurred and my ears started ringing. My vision couldn’t be blurred; I’m still wearing my glasses. No. I started pressing my ears. 

I blinked rapidly. “I’m sorry, what?” I asked Macey.

Macey shook her head. “I didn’t say anything.”

“Are you okay?” Billy asked, taking a hold on my arms.

Gently, I pushed Billy’s hands away. “No, Macey. You said something about December 30th. What was that about?”

“It was Billy who said that.”

“Look, Nicolle. Let’s just go back inside, alright? I don’t think you’re—“

“No, I wanna go. I just… what’s the day today?” I asked both of them. I cupped the side of my head because it’s starting to spin.

I lost my balance and fortunately, Billy caught me.

“Let’s just go!” I shouted. I, too, was taken aback by my reaction. I wasn’t intending to shout at them but I did. It seemed like I couldn’t control myself anymore.

“Damn! What the hell’s wrong with both of you?! I said I wanted to go!”

My vision became even more blurred. And the ringing in my ears continued. “Nicolle, no,” the guy said. I… forgot his name. No! I shouldn’t be forgetting his name. And the girl’s too. I know who they are… but what are their names?

Suddenly, another guy went out of the door and scanned me. “Blake,” the first guy called. “Blake, she needs you right now.”

The first guy nodded and then went inside our house. The second guy crouched in front of me and, to my surprise, held my hand. My eyes widened. Looking at his blue eyes, I felt lost and confused. My vision was getting blurred again; I couldn’t make out a clear image of his face.