Chapter Five: Past Mistakes

"Daddy, I promise I'm okay." Sonia said as her father pulled her blanket up to her chest, her shoulder in pain as she was thrilled she was getting to go home. She feared now that her father was never going to let her out of his sight, and her heart was heavy with the fact that Donna's funeral was the next day.

She hadn't seen her brother since that night and she knew that it would be a while before he came around. Opie had been so in love with Donna, and she with him that the world was now crashing down with no escape in sight. Sonia wanted to be there for her brother, but her father wanted her to rest.

Her arm was in a sling, and despite a few stitches and a lifetime of trauma she was going to be fine. Her father looked at her sternly, her face a mixture of fear and anger as he was no doubt contemplating his words.

"What did the shooter say again? When he came by the truck." Her father asked as he set down her bag full of clothes. The club had been trying to figure out who had killed Donna, everyone thinking that it was Opie they were after.

"He said, SHIT SHIT! Like it was a mistake or something—like- "She trailed off remembering how she held Donna's lifeless body in her arms. Her father wrapped his arms around her and held her close, the sound of the gun firing something she knew she would always remember.

"If I had been just a few inches closer to her— "

"Don't, don't talk like that." Her father said through clinched teeth as he held her tighter. "Get dressed, we need to go." Her father said as he left the room, her eyes itching to read the messages that had been left by Happy. Sonia dressed in the pair of jeans and shirt her father had brought her, a smile on her face as he had remembered to pack a loose-fitting shirt.

Her heart sped up when she read the texts, most of them asking how she was. It was strange to have him caring so much, since she thought they were just having fun. A blush ran over her face as she remembered how he had been the night he snuck into her room. He had touched almost every inch of her body and made sure she came over and over before he even thought about finishing.

I need to see you; can you sneak out tonight?

I don't know, probably not.

Can I sneak over?

I don't know, Happy. Things are insane right now, we need to slow down and take a break. Go find a croweater for the night.

She said, making light of their relationship that was clearly forming. She knew she had just poked a sleeping bear, but part of her felt a sense of excitement. The excitement was dulled when she walked from the room, her aunt Gemma looking at her with sadness and pity.

"You okay?" She asked as he hugged her tight, a slight pain in her shoulder where she had been shot. Sonia nodded her head, her eyes going back to Jax as he had a worried look on his face. She watched as he made a signal to meet her down the hall, her mind trying to think of a way to get away from the small group that had her surrounded.

"I gotta go to the restroom." She said as she pushed past Gemma, her father distracted by the fact Gemma was talking about Donna's funeral. She walked down the hall, unsure of where to find Jax, her body growing nervous as she knew for sure that Jax knew her secret.

"Shit!" She gasped as he pulled her into the small chapel and locked the door, his eyes looking at her as his hand ran over her bandage.

"Are you okay?" He asked, his face a mess of so many emotions.

"I'm okay, I guess—are you?" She asked as she pointed to his busted lip. She knew he was having a fall out with Clay over club business, but she was hoping he could get the shit out of the way before the funeral.