Chapter 13 (Edited)

A/N: DON'T FORGET TO READ 'MY DEAD SISTER'S MATE' WITH THIS STORY!!! The plots are intertwined. And sorry for the yelling. xD

_______________________________________________________________________________

I walked into the coffee shop and scowled. It had taken a while to get away from Lorcian, and I was later than I wanted to, so I wasn't surprised to see my cousin all ready sitting at the table looking like shit. "Two coffees," I all but growled out at the worker. I felt a bit guilty for taking my anger out on the worker but just huffed and handed over some money. "Keep the change," I muttered before walking over to my cousin.

"You look like shit," I said, causing my cousin to open one eye and look at me. I wanted to punch someone, because I knew that she had been through something that I wouldn't like. I hated how she looked so tired, because it made me think that she was going to hurt herself, again. "Why?"

Ana rubbed her eyes, looking like a kid, while I sat across from her. She nodded her head in thanks when I slid the coffee towards her. "Nightmare."

I was pissed, because I had no idea why Blue nor Karen was there to be with her when she had her nightmare. I opened my mouth to say something, only to stop when she held up her hand.

"It isn't Blue's nor Karen's fault. You know me better than anyone else, Jo. You all ready know that I will not wake anyone up when I have a nightmare about my past."

I pursed my lips and nodded. I was worried and afraid for my cousin. She was someone that I looked up to, a mother figure, even though she wouldn't count herself as one. I tried to mask my feelings, because I didn't want her to know what I was feeling. I didn't want her to worry about me. "I-I can't lose you, too," I said, hating the fact that my voice cracked. I wanted to tell her that she was like a parent to me, but I had no idea how to say it, so I just shook my head.

She chuckled, darkly, and took a sip of her coffee. "Who knew that the Steele females could not talk about their feelings to others, nor family," she muttered.

I shrugged my shoulder, acting indifferent. "Doesn't matter much," I replied, taking a sip of my coffee. I pursed my lips, remembering why I hated drinking coffee, unlike my cousin, before huffing. "How are you?" I studied her and tried to see if she was hiding something from me. Unfortunately, it looked that she was hiding something, but I couldn't tell what.

She shrugged her shoulder. "Tired, confused, the usual," she replied. She looked at her shaking hands and sighed. "Remember what I had you promise me?" she asked, not looking up at me. Grief filled her, and I knew that my eyes reminded her so much of her sister that it hurts her sometimes.

"An-" I stopped when she held her hand up, silencing me. My heart pounded in my chest, because I remembered what I promised her, and I did not want to do it. She was family and the only female that I trusted.

"I don't know if I can survive being without Carter," she said. "He wants... he wants me to reject him. And if I do..." She shrugged her shoulder, her face showing the pain that wanted to show.

"I am not killing you, Ans," I said. "I-I-" I was afraid, and I couldn't help but feel as if I was a scared ten year old in the grasps of a monster, the same monster that poisoned my cousin's mind.

She reached over and clutched my hand, squeezing it. "I know," she said, softly. "I don't want to lose myself either. But, you promised me that you would." She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. "I am in pain, Jo," she said, finally, opening her eyes. "This pain can't be healed with medicine. And I... don't think that it could be healed at all."

"But you will fight, right?" I asked looking at her in the eye. I studied her, wanting to know if she would give up. I didn't want her to, and I was hoping that she would leave Carter before he did something stupid. "You will keep fighting for me?"

She nodded. "I will always keep fighting for you." She gave me a tired smile, and I could see how much older she was than she looked. "Now, are you ok?"

I took my hand out of hers. I was debating on whether or not I should let her know. She had too much to worry about, and I didn't want her to have to worry about my problems as well. However, she did give good advice when I asked for things, and I could use the advice. I opened my mouth to say something but closed it with a sigh. "I am fine," I said, my voice monotone. "Everything is fine."

***

Anastasia gave me a look and leaned back in her seat. "We both know that that is a shitty answer," she replied, tersely. "Now, let it out."

I moved a hand through my hair and grimaced. "Mate problems as well. And with... the King there, I can't hang out with him that much. Lorcian is making sure that I stay away from him. The King is amused, but I know that he is getting angry, also."

"What are Sam and Ethan doing about it?"

"Being headaches," I replied. "Did you know that Lorcian ordered people to tell the King that they cooked the food and not me?" I gritted my teeth as anger surged through me. All I wanted to do was punch some sense into my mate, but I knew that I would end up killing him if I did.

"Have you ever asked to do a "practice" fight with Lorcian?" Ana asked, drinking from her cio. "Or would that cause more problems?"

"Probably cause more problems," I replied, shrugging my shoulder. I looked at my hands and sighed when I saw them shaking. "Richard is there," I whispered, hoarsely. I looked up when I heard her gag and choke on her coffee.

"I'm... I'm fine," she said, waving her hand and coughing. "What does the king say to that?" She cleared her throat and blinked back tears.

"He hates it, but since Richard doesn't know about me..." I shrugged. "Ethan and Sam are trying not to kill him."

"Well, I would've killed him if you didn't "tell" me not to," she said. "That bastard beat you near death and caused you to run at the age of eight because of something that your parents did, blaming you."

I looked down, again. It was my fault. No matter how much people, and I, say that it wasn't, it was my fault for killing my mother. I could've stopped her from drinking that drink. I could've stopped the male from taking her, but I didn't.

"Hey," Ana said, grabbing my hands. She rubbed them and waited until I looked up. Pain filled her eyes, and I knew that she was hurting with me and for me. "Don't blame yourself. She was drugged, and you couldn't have stopped him. You were eight. You did not know that there were drugs in her drink."

I bit back a sigh and nodded. "I know... it's just..."

Ana nodded and offered me a sad smile. "I know," she said, squeezing my hands. "Well, I need to pee and then head back to the pack. Blue is probably pissing his pants because he can not find me."

I smiled, tiredly. "I will-"

"You will go back to the pack you are staying at and try to get some sleep. I'll call you when I get back to the packhouse. Promise." She stood, causing me to stand as well.

"You better," I said, going in business mode. "I will send people to find you."

"You will come yourself, no matter what you miss at the pack," she replied. "But, I will." She nodded her head goodbye. "Commander," she said and walked towards the restroom.

I looked towards the door and shook my head before going towards the front door. I knew that she would be fine and call me when she got home, but I didn't know why I felt so worried.

Something... something was going to happen, and I did not know what.