Chapter 1

All Rights Reserved & Copyright © 2014

The night before senior graduation. I thought it'd be nice to finally get Sam out of his house and to his first high school party. Ever.

I left the party to get my phone from my my house, only to receive a worried call from Sam.

It was my mistake thinking I could leave him at Liam's party alone. But from the sound of Sam's worried voice over the phone, I knew he needed to be taken out of there.

I didn't want to come back here. But Sam got himself into a mess, and as his only friend, it's up to me to get him out of it. I walk up the steps to the beach house, searching faces in hopes of finding Sam.

Pushing past alcohol scented bodies, I make my way into the living room. As soon as I step in, smoke fills in my lungs.

"I thought you left," I hear Liam's voice from behind me. I turn around to find Liam with bloodshot eyes and a crooked smile.

"Where the hell is Sam," I demand.

"Relax, he's somewhere around here," Liam says trying to pull me into him, but I put my hands on his chest and push him away.

"Not now. Why did you give Sam a blunt? He called me and he sounded scared as hell! Liam, he's never even put a cigarette in his mouth!" I practically scream.

"Can you stop yelling at me? Quit being so annoying and come over here," he says trying to pull me into him, but I remove myself from him once again.

"Liam, he's never been to a party like this! He's probably scared out of his mind. Where is he?" I say pushing past him and heading towards the stairs.

"Well you're not going to find him up there," Liam yells over the music. "Try the deck," he says with a smirk.

I trudge toward the back door, pushing Liam to the wall as I pass. "You know, you're a real ass when you're drunk," I spit at him.

I walk out the back door, the cool air hitting my skin. It's a drastic change compared to the heat radiating from body to body inside the house. I search up and down the deck, hoping to catch sights of Sam. I look over the railing and find him sitting in the sand on the beach.  I rush down the stairs and place myself at his side.

"Sam? Sam, are you okay?" I ask him worriedly, holding on to his shoulder.

"I'm fine," he says not breaking contact with the waves in front of him.

"Come on we're leaving. I'm sorry I left you. I shouldn't have brought you here in the first place," I frown at him.

I stand up and he does as well. We walk back up the steps of the deck and into the smoke filled house. We reach the front and head back towards my car. Once we get in, I turn the car around and head back to my house.

"I'm sorry," Sam says shrugging in his seat.

"It's my fault. I shouldn't have brought you to Liam's, I'm sorry," I tell him. I feel so sorry for Sam. He's so innocent to this situation and now he's high as a kite and can't do anything about it.

"Drugs are so bad," he says putting his face in his hands and sobbing.

"I know," I say with a sigh. At least now I know Sam will never do anything like this again.

We arrive at my house on the beach and as soon as I turn the car off, I rush to the other side to help Sam out.

"Can you just take me home?" he groans in the front seat.

"Knowing your family, I don't think they'd be happy with you coming home totally stoned," I say reaching for his hand.

"Jen, I'm fine," Sam groans, swatting my hand away.