To Feel - Chapter 5 - Over the edge

Start from the beginning

"King Théoden has good memory. He was only a small child at the time." He murmured silently and I had to strain my ears to hear him.

"Then you must be at least sixty," She gasped.

"Nope, guess again." I whispered.

"No," Aragorn sighed.

"Seventy? You can not be eighty?" She exclaimed.

"Older."

"Eighty seven." Aragorn murmured softly.

"You are one of the Dunedain. A descendant of Numenor, blessed with long life. It was said that your race has passed into legend." Eowyn said.

"There are few of us left. The Northern Kingdom was destroyed long ago." He explained.

"I'm sorry. Please, eat." Eowyn smiled, motioning to the half full bowl before walking away. Aragorn stared at the stew as if it was going to eat him. Not controlling myself any longer, I let myself laugh out loud, making Aragorn look up at me in the tree. I jumped down and landed firmly on me feet, still laughing. I walked towards him, not caring for the glare he sent me. I suppressed my giggles and looked at him seriously.

"So... The soup good?" A slight blush broke out on his cheeks and I couldn't help but start laughing again.

"It's not funny!" He grumbled back at me.

"Oh please! It was hilarious! And you would be laughing too if I was in your situation. Don't you agree with me, Legolas?" I turned to look at him, who had followed me down the tree with a hint of a smile on his lips.

"I'm going to agree with Esme on this one." He told him and smiled at him apologetically.

"Ugh, you two are mean." He huffed out, before adding, "I'm not going to sleep with either of you tonight. I'm going to sleep in the tent with Gimli." He got up and walked off, not before tipping out the rest of the stew in a nearby bush. I chuckled at his retreating figure, before turning to look at Legolas.

"I don't think he got that one right. He's stuck with a loud snoring Gimli tonight, and it was all on himself!" I exclaimed happily.

"Poor Aragorn. He won't be getting the best night's sleep tonight." Legolas commented, throwing one of his arms over my shoulders. His comment sent me giggling again, and I lent on him for support.

"Come. Let's go back up the tree and talk." I told him, once I calmed down.

So we talked far into the night. As the sun went down and the stars came, we told each other many things. We told each other stories from our homes, and we talked about the little things too. It was only when the moon was up high and the stars were shining brightly, did we decide that we should get some sleep.

We silently climbed down the tree and entered our tent, making sure it was closed tightly before getting our bed rolls ready, which were lended to us from Théoden. The tent was small and we were lying next together quite closely. After I whispered 'good night' I turned to face the tent and I fell asleep.