To Know - Chapter 11 - I'm fine

Hey guys I managed some free time, and I was able to write this over a period of days.

This is a huge chapter, for me and the story. But most important of all, for all of you who are reading this.

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~

Esme's POV

We made camp on the ground, as the Hobbits did not like the idea of sleeping off the ground. I made my bed a few meters away from the company, wanting my own personal space. After I did so, I climbed into the low branches of the tree, which stands over my makeshift bed. Around me, I could hear the Elves singing.

"A Olorin I yaresse, Mentaner I Numeherui, Tirien I Romenori, Maiarion I Oiosaila... Mana elye etevanne... Norie I melanelye?" 

Their words brought fresh tears to my eyes, and they rolled down my cheeks in rivers.

"A lament for Gandalf." Legolas murmured somewhere to the left of me. Though I did not turn to look at him.

"What do they say about him?" Asked Merry.

"I have not the heart to tell you. For me the grief is still to near." Legolas whispered sadly, and I heard him walk off in another direction to me.

"I bet they don't mention his fireworks. There should be a verse about them. 'The finest rockets ever seen, the burst in stars of blue and green. Or after thunder, silver showers, came falling down like a rain of flowers...'" Sam stood up as he spoke. "Oh that doesn't do them justice by a long road." He sighed sitting down again. I laid my head against the rough bark of the tree trunk and continued to gaze into the sky at the stars.

After a short while I could hear Aragorn speak.

"Take some rest. These borders are well protected." He murmured softly. For a moment I thought he was talking to me, until Boromir replied.

''I will find no rest here. I heard a voice inside my head. She spoke of my father and the fall of Gondor. She said to me, even now, there is hope left, but I do not see it. It is long since we had any hope. My father is a noble man, but his rule is failing, and now our... our people lose faith. He looks to me to make things right, and I would do it, I would see the glory of Gondor restored. Have you ever seen it, Aragorn? The White Tower of Ecthelion glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, it's banners coaught high in the morning breeze? Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?" His voice filled with passion as he spoke of his city.

"I have seen the White City, long ago." Aragorn said softly.

"One day, our paths will lead us there, and the tower guard shall take up his call, 'the Lords of Gondor have returned!'" Boromir spoke cheerfully, as if speaking about his city has renewed his faith. I heard him stand and walk away, leaving Aragorn alone. I wondered if he even knew I was here.

Though my doubts were answered, when he turned and came to lean against the tree, beneath me.

"Esme?'' I heard him say softly to me, in an almost questioning way.

"Yes?"

"How are you feeling?" He asks me, and I could hear general concern laced with his voice.

I sighed. I knew this was coming. And with a quick turn of my body and my Elvish reflexes, I somehow rolled off the branch I was half lying on and turned my body to face Aragorn as I landed on the balls of my feat. I could see my sudden movement, to suddenly turn up in front of him, shocked him and his eyes widened at me. Though he became calm and collected again, and smiled at me.