To Love - Chap 4

To Love - Chapter 4

"There was no lie in Pippin's eyes. A fool but an honest fool he remains."

Esme along with the rest of the Fellowship and King Theoden were gathered in the main hall to talk about the previous night's events.

"He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the Ring." Gandalf continued. "We've been strangely fortunate. Pippin saw in the Palantir a glimpse of the enemy's plan. Saron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith. His defeat at Helm's Deep showed our enemy one thing. He knows the Heir of Elendil has come forth." Gandalf nods at Aragorn. "Men are not as weak as he supposed. There is courage still. Strength enough, perhaps, to challenge him. Sauron fears this. He will not risk the people of Middle Earth uniting under one banner. He will raze Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees a King return to the throne of men. If the beacons of Gondor are lit, Rohan must be ready for war."

"Tell me!" Theoden exclaims. "Why should we ride to the aid of those who did not come to ours? What do we owe Gondor?"

Esme rolled her eyes at the King's selfish response.

"I will go," Aragorn volunteers.

"No!" Gandalf rejects.

"They must be warned!" Aragorn rebuttled.

"They will be," Gandalf states, approaching him to whisper in his ear. "You must come to Minas Tirith by another road. Follow the river. Look to the black ships." He turns from him to address the rest. "Understand this, things are now in motion that cannot be undone. I ride for Minas Tirith and I won't be going alone." Gandalf looks at Pippin, making it clear that he was to go with him.

And from there things were a blur as Gandalf flees the hall, pulling Pippin in tow. The two hobbits are hurriedly talking as Gandalf ushers Pippin to the stables, Aragorn, Esme, Legolas and Gimli following.

"But we'll see each other soon? Won't we?" Pippin asks Merry.

"I don't know! I don't know what's going to happen!" Merry cries, uncertain.

"Merry?" Pippin asks.

"Run, Shadowfax, show us the meaning of haste!" Gandalf calls.

"Merry!" Pippin cries as they gallop off.

Merry runs, Aragorn chasing him up to the top of the watchtower.

"Poor Pippin," Esme says to Legolas as they watch the retreating figures. "I hope he will be alright."

"I'm sure he'll be fine," Legolas assures her, making Esme smile.

"I'm going to get some breakfast, you two are welcome to join me."

***

After they had their breakfast, Esme had retired to her room to retrieve her weapons, readying for a training session with Legolas. Once she arrived at the main yard, Esme waited patiently for Legolas to arrive.

"Esme."

Esme turned at the call of her name, smiling upon seeing Legolas behind her.

"I thought we could duel, but it is a bit overcrowded." Esme says, both glancing at the people around them.

"How about we ride out for a few miles, for some space and quiet?" Legolas suggested.

"Sounds like a plan," Esme headed for the stables, eager to go riding again. It wasn't long before they were both on separate horses and racing their steeds out of the gates. Esme cherished the feel of the wind as she rode, enjoying the experience immensely.