Chapter Twenty-One: What's Your Secret, Coal Black?

Storm Rider/ Molly Braeson's POV:

I couldn't get those big blue eyes out of my mind. Every time I closed my eyes, that's all I saw, those eyes that met mine so steadily, unblinking and never diverting. I've looked into countless villain's eyes, and if I had to describe what I saw in them, I would have to say it would be sinister.

Coal is a super villain, a super villain, so why does he lack their main quality? There was nothing sinister in his eyes, nothing to make me afraid or worried. Why are they so wide and trusting? And why were they blue? Doesn't he know that I fall for blue eyes? And why does he even have blue eyes, he has fire powers so what business does he have having blue eyes?

"Molly?"

I snapped myself out of my thoughts, too many questions all at once can drive a girl crazy. I found my dad standing in front of me, an eyebrow cocked. "Yeah, dad?"

"You okay? You've been staring off into space for the past half hour, what have you been thinking about?"

I blinked several times and sat up straighter. "Nothing important," I said much too quickly for it to be 'nothing important.'

Dad's cocked eyebrow got even higher. He pulled on his elbow-length red gloves. "Are you sure? If something's worrying you, then I can stay home, and we can talk it out. I can get Anti Gravity to cover for me."

I shook my head and stretched, trying to act nonchalant. "No, dad, the city needs Red out there."

"But the city's sweetheart will always be Storm Rider."

I grinned at dad's cheesiness and waited impatiently till he was gone. "Alone at last," I breathed out, slouching in my chair and putting away my homework. Something was bugging me, and I needed to get to the bottom of it.

I slipped off my chair and went quickly to my room. I grabbed my laptop off the charger and sat on my bed. Logging on to the Board of Heroes and Villains website, I quickly searched the database for Headphones' file.

"There he is," I mumbled to myself, bouncing a little on my bed with excitement. As a member of the Board, I had access to pretty much everyone's files. I clicked on his name and waited for the data to load.

"Confidential information. Access denied," the computer said, startling me.

"What?" I clicked on his file again but only had the same result. Confidential information. Access denied. Why would my access be denied? I'm Red's daughter! I can look at anyone's files. I huffed loudly and slammed my laptop lid shut.

I jumped off my bed and ran to dad's office. I jiggled with the lock till I got it open, smirking a little to myself. He could never find a good enough lock to keep me out.

Sliding along the dark hardwood floors in my yellow socks, I went up to his endless file cabinets, running my fingers across the cold gray metal till I came to the H's. I pulled it open and flipped through the different heroes and villains, frowning to myself when I didn't find his files, I slammed the drawer shut and glared more intensely.

"Where could you be?" I whispered.

I ran my eyes across the little alphabets on the cabinet faces. I stopped on the B's. His last name is Black. I opened the drawer tentatively and quickly scanned the folders and stopped when I came up to 'Black, Benjamin.' I moved the file back and found it. 'Black, Coal.'