Chapter 12

Dillon

I was nervous even though I would never admit that to anyone.

"Go on," Josh told me while giving me a light push. "She's waiting for you, and she definitely is not going to wait for forever."

"I don't know if I can do this," I admitted reluctantly.

"Why not," he asked me.

"I don't know," I sighed. "I've never felt the way I feel about Mandi towards any other girl."

"What do you mean," Josh asked me.

"Dude, I think that I'm actually in love with Mandi," I admitted.

"Why don't you go confirm your feelings," Josh said. "Now, go on."

"I still don't know," I sighed.

"Look, Dillon, inside that house is a beautiful girl waiting for you," Josh countered. "If you really think that you love her then take her on a date already. Although, if you don't really think that you like her then call the date off."

"Josh, you know that I can't do that," I told him.

"Then kick your nervous butt into gear and go take Mandi on that date already."

"Thanks," I said. I started walking toward Mandi's house. I got up enough courage to ring the doorbell, and then I waited. Five minutes later AnaBella opened the door, and then she rudely slammed the door in my face. I turned to look at Josh and found him standing directly behind me.

"Hey, don't look at me nobody but AnaBella knows what she has up her sleeve," he said defensively.

We were both turned away from the door when it opened. I turned around and my heart stopped.

Mandi

I saw the shock play across Dillon's face. AnaBella had been right when she had said that surprise meant everything when it came down to this kind of stuff. Although she would never shut up if I admitted that to her. That was why I would keep my mouth shut about it. I looked at Dillon waiting for the shock to go away.

"You look," Dillon paused, "amazing."

"Thanks," I blushed.

"It's getting late which means that you two should probably get going," AnaBella suggested.

"Are you ready," Dillon asked me.

"Yeah," I answered.

As I stepped out of the doorway Josh took my place next to AnaBella.

"We did such a great job," I heard him whisper to her as Dillon led me away from them.

"So," Dillon said conversationally. "Have you ever been on a date?"

"No," I admitted shyly.

"Really," he asked quizzically.

"Yep," I said truthfully.

"Nice," he mused.

"What," I asked innocently.

"Nothing," Dillon smiled.

"Wow," I laughed and shook my head.

"You're cute when you do that, you know," Dillon said smiling at me.

"Do what," I asked.

"Shake your head and laugh," he answered. By this time we had reached the park.

"What are we doing here," I asked.

"Well, a little birdie told me that you like to go to the park and let your inner child run free," Dillon said turning sideways to smirk at me.

"You shouldn't it's too childish," I asked nervously.

"Not at all; why do you ask?"

"Well, you are a popular boy at school, and you did bring a less popular girl out on a date. Not only that you brought me to the park of all places where you knew I would love to spend my night versus at a party," I tried explaining, but I knew that I had failed.

"What's your point," Dillon asked, utterly confused.

"The point is that, why me? Out of all of the girls that you could have, why did you choose me? Also, why do something that I love, something that is kind of childish, on our date? Do you see what I mean now?"

"Kind of, but not really," Dillon admitted. Man, did I suck at explaining things or what, I thought to myself. No doubt that Dillon would be very confused in a very short amount of time if I didn't shut up.

Dillon

"How about we just drop it and enjoy our date," Mandi suggested.

"Okay," I agreed. Mandi was beautiful, but what if she didn't like me the same way I liked her?

"What are you thinking about," she asked me.

Mandi's question broke me out of my thoughts.

"Can I ask you something," I asked her a question instead of answering the question which she had asked me.

"Sure," Mandi answered slowly.

"Do you really like me, or are you just on this date so that you can say that you went on a date with Dillon Hansen?"

Mandi thought about it for a minute, then she started walking towards the swings. I followed her still waiting for an answer.

"Look, Dillon, I really do like you," Mandi finally answered once we reached the swings. "I'm not that kind of girl that pretends to like a boy just so that she can say that she dated the most popular boy in school. Why are you so worried?"

"It's just that I'm sick and tired of going out with the type of girls who don't actually like me. It's like all that they want from me is to have my great reputation," I admitted. I really didn't know why I said all of that to Mandi, but I really didn't care.

"I guess I can't say that I know what you mean since I've never been put in that situation before. Although, I do understand what you mean," Mandi told me.

"See," I said, "that's why I like you. You don't care about the mistakes I've made, but most importantly you always know what to say to people to make them feel better."

"I wouldn't say always," Mandi replied.

Mandi

I was so into the conversation that it scared me when my phone started ringing.

"I'm so sorry," I told Dillon.

"No, it's okay," he reassured me.

"It's AnaBella," I said.

"How late is it," Dillon asked me.

"Almost nine thirty," I answered.

"Oh crap, I'm so sorry," he started freaking out.

"What's wrong," I asked confusedly.

"I was supposed to take you to dinner. Crap, this is bad."

"Dillon, it's okay; I'll just go home and eat," I promised.

"Josh will kick my butt if he finds out," Dillon wouldn't calm down.

"Who says we have to tell them," I said with an evil grin.

"Wow, you're a little devil," Dillon teased as he finally started calming down.

"Look, I had a great time. Don't put yourself down just because our date didn't go as planned."

"You're really understanding, have you ever noticed that?"

"Most definitely," I said with a smile. We got up and Dillon walked me home. As far as I could tell that had been the best date I had ever been on. Although, I really hadn't been on any other date before.