Chapter 9

Dillon

Mandi’s mom had warned us all to make sure that Mandi was drinking lots of water. The thing that sucked the most was that Mrs. Williams didn’t want Mandi to leave her house at least not for today. 

“Hey, I’ve got to go get ready for work,” I told Mandi. “I guess that I’ll see you later.”

“Okay, have fun,” she smiled. “Text me if at all possible.”

“Will do, see ya guys later,” I said to all three of them before I left. 

“Bye,” they all called simultaneously.

I had about half an hour before I had to be to work. I worked at a grocery store close to my house. Unlike most teenagers, I actually enjoyed my job. When I turned sixteen my mom made me choose between working at the grocery store or McDonald’s. I chose the grocery store since the managers didn’t really care if you texted while working all they cared about was if you did what they asked you to do or not. It was a pretty easy job and people rarely got fired. 

As soon as I got to work I was bored since there wasn’t a whole lot to do, so I texted Mandi: 

Hey //D!llon//

Hey *MaNdI*

What’s up? //D!llon//

Siting here listening to AnaBella go on and on about Friday *MaNdI*

Wow haha //D!llon//

I know right haha *MaNdI* 

Yeah, if I was to ask you what you wanted to do Friday night, would you give me an honest answer? //D!llon//

Who do you think I am? An unhonest person? *MaNdI*

I never said that haha //D!llon//

Mandi

“Let’s talk about your date on Friday,” AnaBella gushed. 

“Oh my gosh,” I laughed. “Josh, please take her away.”

“No can do, sorry,” Josh shrugged. “You know how she is when she gets in this kind of mood.” 

“It’s still early,” I pleaded. 

“Yeah, but it’s changing fast,” he told me. 

I had to admit that Josh was right. AnaBella’s voice was taking on more and more excitement with each second that ticked by. 

“Mandi, I am talking to you,” AnaBella said with a little irritation in her voice. 

“What,” I asked noticing that I had zoned out. 

“I asked if Dillon has told you what you two are going to do on your date,” AnaBella said. 

“He just asked me what I prefer we do not too long ago,” I answered. 

“Fantastic,” AnaBella squealed, “now Josh has a job to do. Josh, your job is to help Dillon figure something ou that you know Mandi will like. You are not to share it with us.” 

After Josh was gone, AnaBella totally lost herself in planning the perfect hair and makeup styles. All I could do was sit there and try to grasp what she was explaining. 

Josh

So I was in charge of helping Dillon come up with the perfect date for Mandi and him. I texted him: 

Hey @Josh@

Hey //D!llon//

What’s up? @Josh@

Nothing much besides working, what about you? //D!llon//

Well, I’m supposed to help you come up with possible things for you and Mandi to do on your date on Friday @Josh@

Well you sound oh so excited to help haha //D!llon//

I was set up by my overexcited girlfriend haha @Josh@

Haha so what are your brilliant ideas? //D!llon//

I don’t have any ideas haha, but I can tell you some things about Mandi that will help you @Josh@

Okay let’s hear them //D!llon//

Well, Mandi doesn’t really like serious dates. She likes to act like a teenager and not a grown up if that makes any sense haha @Josh@

It does, but what would your suggestion of the “perfect date” for Mandi be? //D!llon//

If it sounds okay to you I’d say to just take Mandi to a small diner than go to park and swing with her and get to know the true Mandi @Josh@

That sounds great, thanks //D!llon//

Yup, I’m going to go now, bye @Josh@

Cya //D!llon//

I felt like I had given Dillon the perfect idea for a date that I knew that Mandi would absolutely love. I texted AnaBella letting her know that I had helped Dillon come up with an idea before I lied down on my bed and fell asleep. 

Mandi

I started feeling nauseous, but I didn’t want to get up. 

“Do you wanna hand me my trash can, please,” I asked AnaBella. We had long since moved into my room from the living room. 

“Can I ask you something,” she asked as she handed me my trash can. 

“Of course,” I answered. 

“How do you deal with all of this? I mean, you’re fifteen, you were raped, and then you became pregnant. How have you not given up and done something stupid?”

“Because I have you by my side,” I answered her question simply.