Chapter 8

Mandi

Was he serious? Did Dillon Hansen just ask me out on a date? What should I say? Of course I wanted to say yes, but I had a baby on the way and sooner or later I would start showing. Dillon might understand the whole entire mess of a situation that I was in, but what about his reputation? He was the star quarterback for the school’s football team, and on top of that he was the school’s hottie. I needed to talk to AnaBella, so I called her. 

“Hello,” Josh answered. 

“Josh, where’s AnaBella,” I asked him. 

“She’s sleeping,” he answered. “Why, what do you need?”

“I need to talk to her,” I said. “By the way, if she’s sleeping why did you answer her phone?”

“Because I saw that it was you calling, and you rarely call unless you have to talk about something really important. So, what’s up?”

“I just need to talk to her,” I told him. 

“Okay, I’ll wake her up, but I do warn you that she’s in no mood to deal with any crap.”

“Did she almost self-harm again?”

“Yeah,” he said sadly. We both knew about the fight that AnaBella was fighting not to self-harm. 

“Well, I think that what I have to say will cheer her up,” I said confidently. 

“Okay, here she is,” he told me. 

“Hey, what’s up,” AnaBella asked groggily.

“Guess what just happened,” I said excitedly.

“What,” she asked curiously. 

“Dillon just asked me out on a date,” I whisper-shouted. 

“Are you for reals,” she asked excitedly. 

“Yep, for reals,” I said. 

“What did you say?”

“Nothing yet,” I said deflatedly. “What about this whole flipping situation about me being pregnant? I would have to tell him sometime and I don’t know how he’ll take it.”

“Dillon might not really show it, but he’s really understanding. All you have to do for now is say that you’d love to go out on a date. After all, it’s just a date and not marriage,” she joked. “Just worry about telling him about all of that later on, but don’t wait too long.”

“Okay, I guess I’ll do that,” I said. “Now, what’s up with you?”

“Josh told you, didn’t he,” she asked. 

“Yes, why AnaBella,” I asked. 

“I don’t know,” she sighed. “I guess that it’s been a way more stressful day then I first realized before I wanted to do it. You know how it goes: too much stress or sadness and it feels like it becomes a need to survive.”

“You didn’t actually do anything, did you?”

“No, I texted Josh before I did do anything,” she answered. 

“K, goo,” I said. “I’m here, too, if you need to talk.”

“I know, I’m going back to sleep, night,” she said.