Chapter 29: Romeo in Biker Jacket

ALAIN's POV

Amanda was undeniably well-off. Well that might be one way to put it, yes though not the filthy rich kind but more or less the likeable kind. To start off, I could easily agree with the fact that her house is by far the biggest and most lavish one in this cheap-ass suburban town. Her family may have just been here for a few months but her parents really know how to make the best impression among the townsfolk, with their large amount wealth mostly from their lucrative businesses. I've only been introduced to Mrs. Wilkinson so I haven’t had the pleasure of meeting the patriarch of the house yet, even though he was present on the night of the basketball sectionals final. Amanda mentioned that he's usually overseas with his business trips so I figured it is best not to pry more about it.

I’m not so keen to admit it but yes, after we’ve been fast friends since she first arrived here this would be my first time ever being in her amazing not-so-humble abode. Amanda took me into a tour around her gorgeous bungalow house and I was terribly impressed, to say the least. Then she presented her huge closet full of high-end branded clothes and shoes to me, Aiden and his friend, Naeema. I just wish Audrey could join us right now. The last time we had our weekly sleepover was at her simple house downtown and both Amanda and I really enjoyed it there. Her absence crept through us both like a crippling disease, heightened by the overwhelming guilt. Amanda still couldn’t believe that she would leave us for Candy and Keith, of all people. She had nothing against them, so do I but it’s felt like Audrey had purposely done that to send a message that she was in fact, hating us more than we could imagine.  

I texted Audrey countless times, trying to call her again and again because I definitely won’t be able to just sit down and give up on our wonderful friendship. Amanda did the same but as expected there was no reply from our dear Dutch friend. We’re the Three Angels and always will be. We promised that we would never give up on each other. Whether I realize or not, I may require Candy’s help after all. I won’t be happy enough even with Connor around, unless I fix this growing rift between us and Audrey. 

“Is it true from what I heard that she’s, you know umm… trying to lose weight with pills?” It had always been concern brimming in Amanda’s voice, despite her silly craziness. She cared so much about others especially her closest friends and I’m so blessed to be included in that esteemed group of amazing people to her. Her emotions has always been sincere and genuine regardless of how people treated her and I should really try to be more like her. And yes, I’m still in the process of learning to accept the fact that she’s going out with the biggest A-hole in school. Who knows, it might actually be a good change for that pompous boy?

She pinched my arm slightly as I yelped in pain. I shot her a frowning glare and realized that it was my fault to daydream in the middle of our conversation so I immediately blushed instead. “Did you even hear what I asked just now? Alain boo, what’s wrong with you?”

“Nope, nothing’s wrong. I’m just being pensive like usual sorry.  And yeah, she did. Keith’s the one who discovered that she’s buying some pills from two dodgy dudes by the park last week. He wouldn’t lie about such things right? I really hope that French boy still has some honour left to keep. I hate people when they spread lies.”

“So he confronted her and she told him all about it? Alain, how could we miss all this? That poor girl needed us more than ever and we failed her. Now she wouldn’t even talk to us anymore!” She’s trying her best to hold in the incoming tears. She cupped her face with her hands as if that would help in covering her growing melancholy which I mutually shared. I felt compelled to hug her girly frame tightly while we’re sitting facing each other on her queen-sized bed.

“I know, Mandy boo. I messed up too see? It’s not just your fault. We should just come clean to each other about everything. Especially when it comes down to boys. How could we miss it? Her plea for help? She shouldn’t have gone through it alone.”