Chapter Eleven

+++++

Beep. Beep. Beep.  

A repetitive beeping sound comes from my computer, as revives from sleep mode and opens up Skype. 

'Incoming call from: Parents'

Clicking the accept button, a few seconds later, Mum and Dad pop up on the screen, masking their sadness with a smile. As they greet me, a little ruckus heard in the background. 

"Is everything okay?" I asked, concerned, dropping my clothes that I was packing to go to the screen, giving them my full attention. 

"It's been a little rough, but we're working through it. Have you finished packing for Paris?" Mum asks sweetly, playing if nothing is wrong. I knew there was something odd, but I couldn't quite tell.    

"Yeah, I'm nearly done.  I'm leaving home soon so-"

"We won't take too much of your time. We just called to check if everything is okay and to say that we may delay our flight back because-" 

"Why? Is Aunt Shelby okay?" I jump, worried now. 

"Her condition has gotten worse over the past few days so we're just going to stay behind and take care of her before we leave. Don't worry, we'll be back before graduation."

I swear they weren't telling me something. I could tell they were hiding something, but what was it?

"We just wanted to keep you in the loop. Don't worry, everything is being taken care of, just have a safe trip," Mum says with a smile, "Be happy."

Happy. Did I even remember how to be truly happy? It had been so long. 

"I will," I say, smiling back. After saying my goodbyes to my parents, I zipped my suitcase, all packed and ready to go. I lug it downstairs where Ryder was waiting with his suitcase, looking as if he was texting someone.

He wore black jeans, paired with a plain navy blue casual shirt, whereas I wore red jeans matched with a plain white top and a grey cardigan.

 He didn't even notice my presence till he heard me place down my bag next to his, standing now directly in front of him as he lifts his gaze to meet mine.

"The cab is waiting outside. You ready?" he asks, slipping his phone into his back pocket.

"Yeah," I say with a smile. Greeting Linda, I walk over to where she stood as she cupped my face with her soft hands, making me smile a little wider.  

"Take care of her Ryder," she says, pulling me into a hug, before whispering something softly into my ear, "Be safe."

"I will," I say, reassuring her that I'll be okay.

Jayden and Ryder had placed our bags into the cab, setting us for the journey ahead.

"Let's go."

+++++

The plane ride to Paris wasn't too bad. Since Paris was roughly only a few hours away, Ryder and I decided to watch a few movies, chat a little then play some games.

Before we knew it, we were in Paris, France.

Time flew by without me noticing. 

"Take us to Le Burgundy Paris, s'il vous plait," Ryder says in a French accent, impressing me. 

"Since when did you learn how to speak French?" I ask Ryder as I buckle myself to the seat. Rolling down the window, I feel the heat pass off, onto my vulnerable, slightly open body.