Chapter Two

+++++

"Ryder."

My smile was as fake as his. I could tell his confidence had boosted up once he knew my presence, making it even harder for me to contain my emotions that were stirring up inside me. 

I could feel my blood rush to my cheeks as if the reality had punched me straight in the face. 

But I couldn't help but feel a little happy knowing he was back. 

I know should be getting over him, but I have a feeling that fate has something different planned for us. Whenever I try to move on from someone, the next minute I see them, looking back at me and all the old feelings come crashing back. 

He opens his arms , coming closer, waiting for my response. Not wanting to raise any questions, I return the hug, letting him wrap one of his arms around my waist, and the other on my lower back.

"I'm back for you," Ryder softly whispers into my ear. I can feel the warmth of his body come on to mine, his toned stomach against mine, and his muscles around my body. He was certainly taller than me, almost a head taller. 

"What-"

Before I could finish, he released his grip, taking a few steps away from me with his signature smirk spread across his face. 

Good one Ember, you let him get into your head so easily. 

I just stood there, most likely looking like an idiot with my mouth slightly parted, staring at Ryder with confusion. I couldn't believe how naive I was. 

A couple moments past before someone decided to break the silence. All my mind could pay attention to was the meaning behind his words, trying to find possible theories. 

"Honey, would you like something to eat or drink?" Linda kindly suggested. 

Not giving me time to reply, someone cuts me of-

"Excuse me, I've got to be somewhere," he dismisses, giving his mum a short kiss on the cheek and waving bye to my parents and myself, "I'll catch up with you soon Em."

Nodding, I say goodbye to Jayden as he disappears behind the door. I guess the sooner this will be over, the more time I got to myself to crawl back under my rock, pretending that I didn't exist. 

"Ryder dear, take Ember to the kitchen and get her something. Also, put the kettle on and make some coffee for Mr and Mrs Wilson," Linda requested, telling my parents to take a seat. 

It didn't need a team of professionals to see what she was up to; getting Ryder and I alone together. I wanted to object but I also wanted to make a good impression so like a good girl, I listened. 

Ryder gave a slight nod of the head before taking my wrist gently yet firmly and leading me to the kitchen without a single word spoken within that brief moment. 

I didn't dare to make any eye contact with him as we entered the kitchen. Instead, I just stood in a corner, diverting my eyes to anything else but him. 

I heard the door close softly and the sound of a lock being turned. I felt an uneasy feeling in my stomach as a wave of panic washed over me. I wanted to brush it off like it was nothing to worry about, but other thoughts had me thinking otherwise. 

Be strong. 

Trying to distract myself, I take a look around, observing the kitchen. I notice there's still some unpacked boxes lying on the ground but other than that, everything was neatly set out. 

The plates were neatly stacked on a shelf, along with the cups dangling beside it. To the side was a sink, along with a drying rack and a few dishes drying. Smack bang in the middle was a table counter, with a bowl full of fruit right in the centre.