SIX - NATURE PROVIDES

"When the blood in your veins returns to the sea, and the earth in your bones returns to the ground, perhaps then you will remember that this land does not belong to you, it is you who belong to the land."

- Native Saying

•••

Maka?

The voice sounded as though it were underwater.

Maka?

The voice repeated as I peeled my eyes open, vision blurred.

Maka!

The sound of her shrill voice rattled my thoughts, disrupting the flow as a soft gush of wind flushed my skin and I gasped.

My mother was crouched before me, and I quickly realized that I was on the couch. Her hair had been pulled into a loose bun and her hands migrated from her thighs to my forearms.

❝Maka, you're finally awake. I was afraid it didn't work.❞

My mother said, relief coating her words.

❝What didn't work?❞

My body ached as the feelings flood back, responding to the wound I could recall sustaining.

❝This.❞

My mother lifted her arms and presented them to me, emerald veins travelling across her skin, towards her heart.

❝Nature provides.❞

She answered, standing up. Furrowing my brows in confusion I tilted my head at the sight of the green veins slowly lightening in colour.

❝How are your veins green?❞

My mother gave me a small smile.

❝Look, Maka, I'm sure you've always known there were family secrets I was not telling you.❞

She approached me and motioned towards the couch, giving me a few seconds to scoot forward, subconsciously unaware that I should have been feeling more pain than I was.

❝I think it's time I tell you.❞

•••

The countertop was cold as I lifted myself onto it. To catch you up, I'll be quick.

There was no wound on my stomach, it disappeared within the minutes that I'd been unconscious, much to my confusion.

Now, I was sitting on the island and my mother was standing across from me.

❝What's with you mom? Why are you acting like this?❞

She nodded, absorbing the inquiry before turning and opening the cabinet behind her.

❝We have a family heirloom I need.❞

Opening said cabinet, she pulled a small wooden box from its depths.

❝Here you are.❞

Smiling at me, she brought the box to the empty spot beside me. Lowering it to the countertop, she spoke.

❝Maka, your name has meaning, do you know what it is?❞

I nodded, ❝It means, Earth.❞

My mother nodded, her expression morphing into one of pure earnestness.

❝Your father chose your name. He said that Earth was the center of the elements.❞

Confusion crossed my face.

❝Earth, the center...I thought they were all equal?❞

❝I especially know this...but your father, he had a saying for it.❞