THREE - IMPULSIVE BREAK-IN

"Animals aren't wild, they're just free."

-Native American Proverb

•••

I had been pulled to the floor by Stiles and within an instant, I had realized that he'd saved me from the relentless swarm of rabid crows.

Now, however, we were all dealing with the aftermath of the frenzy, and the police were just as confused as everyone else. This wasn't normal, at least in any other city.

Are you okay?

My mother's voice snapped my thoughts away, inciting clarity as I glanced away from the windows and focused on her.

She wore jeans and a faux leather jacket, her tawny purse slung across her chest as she dragged her gaze across my body in an attempt to spot injuries.

Her charcoal locks had been thrown into a hastily made bun and a piece of her folded scrubs peeked out the corner of her tote.

❝Yes, Mom, I'm fine.❞

Eyeing her skeptically, she continued searching my skin, placing a hand on my bicep while I centred my gaze on the ground, crow corpses littering the linoleum.

❝How did you not get one single peck?❞

She inquired whilst the man standing beside Allison, presumably her father, inconspicuously glanced over every so often.

Sighing, I rolled my eyes and met my mother's concerned eyes.

❝That boy, Stiles, he pulled me to the ground.❞

I said, now pointing at Stiles, who wasn't looking in my direction. He was standing by Ms. Blake, who seemed to be in a state of, reasonable, shock.

❝Oh well, in that case -❞

My mother moved her hands to my shoulders, a small smile adorning her lips innocently.

❝-you should go thank him.❞

She shoved me, a smirk taking her over features as I panicked and flailed my way towards the boy. Stopping myself before I fell into him and created a game of human dominoes, I ignored the squeak of my shoes and tried to smile, he only looked at me skeptically.

The Sherriff, who was standing beside him, arched a brow humorously, nodding my way in acknowledgement before jutting his notepad towards the door.

❝I'll leave you two alone.❞

He head towards the door but halted in the midst of his course to speak with my mother, who stood almost expectantly.

❝So...❞ 

Stiles trailed, evidently unsure of how to spark the conversation.

❝Um-❞

I took a sharp intake of breath before continuing, trying not to stutter as my anxiety decided to make an appearance.

❝-thanks for saving me from almost being pecked to death.❞

The corners of Stiles' lips frowned as he waved one hand in a dismissive manner.

❝It was no problem.❞

I looked to my feet and let the flow of the conversation take over, grabbing the reins and booting my anxiety off its pedestal.

❝Why were you talking to the Sheriff...are you okay?❞

His eyes widened as his lips parted.

❝Oh no, the Sheriff is my dad.❞

Stiles explained, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans before nudging his chin towards my mother.