Chapter 6

Finally the day of the wedding had come. Evelyn was getting ready in her parent's house and John in his room at the hospital.

"Oh my heart's beating so fast it might explode out of my chest!" Evelyn exclaimed jubilantly as she got into her wedding dress.

"I'm so happy for you my dear." Anne smiled sweetly at her daughter.

"Oh I thought this day would never come." she said, unable to stop smiling.

"You're going to look so beautiful Evelyn." she said.

****

"You look marvellous John." Treves said.

"Don't flatter me." John teased.

"I mean it. You look wonderful." Treves gave him a reassuring smile.

"I can't believe this is actually happening. I always thought of all the people on this earth I'd be the last one to ever marry." he said.

"Nonsense John. If only people saw past your condition they would see the person beneath."

"Thank you Frederick."

"Oh. Almost forgot." Treves said as he tucked a flower into John's lapel.

"Can I ask you something?" John said.

"Yes of course."

"Are you actually pleased that I'm with your daughter? Surely you'd be disappointed that she chose me over a much handsomer man."

"Oh John, I am pleased. True you may not be the handsomest, but I'd much rather she was with you than a good looking but horrid man. I've never seen her as happy as she is with you. I couldn't think of a better man for her." Treves said with sincerity.

"I'm so glad you think so. That takes a great weight off my conscience." he said, smiling with great difficulty.

"Well then, we'd better be going. It's time for me to get married!" John added.

****

"How do I look Mother?" Evelyn asked as they rode in the carriage.

"Stunning." she said.

"I'm so nervous." she said, biting her lip.

"Everything will be fine, I'm sure of it." Anne smiled.

****

"Won't everyone be staring at me?" John said, twiddling his fingers in anxiety.

"It's your wedding day John. Does it matter if anyone stares at you? You're marrying the woman you love, who cares what anyone else thinks. It'll all be fine." he put his hand on his shoulder.

"You're right, thank you." he said.

****

It was a crisp, sunny Wednesday morning as the carriage arrived outside St Philip's. The church bells sang as Evelyn stepped out.

John's wiped his hands on his trousers as he sweated in anticipation. He received the occasional stare but no one had verbally attacked him for once. He turned as the organ began to sound.

Everyone turned towards the door as Evelyn walked in. She gave John a smile as she walked up the aisle. Once she made it to the top she joined hands with John.

"You look absolutely beautiful." he whispered to her.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today, in the sight of God, to join this man and this woman in holy matchimony." the minister began.

"Wilt thou have this woman to thy wedded wife, to live together after God's ordinance in the holy estate of Matrimony? Wilt thou love her, comfort her, honour and keep her in sickness and in health; and forsaking all others keep thee only unto her, so long as ye both shall live?" his voice echoed around the church.

"I will." John looked lovingly into her eyes.

"Wilt thou have this man to thy wedded husband, to live together after God's ordinance in the holy estate of Matrimony? Wilt thou obey him, and serve him, love, honour, and keep him in sickness and in health; and forsaking all others keep thee only unto him, so long as ye both shall live?"

"I will." she smiled.

"I, John Merrick, take thee Evelyn Treves, to my wedded wife. To have and to hold from this day forward, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I plight thee my troth." the minster said.

"I, John Merrick, take thee Evelyn Treves, to my wedded wife. To have and to hold from this day forward, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I plight thee my troth." John repeated.

"I, Evelyn Treves, take thee John Merrick, to my wedded husband. To have and to hold from this day forward, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I plight thee my troth." the minster said.

"I, Evelyn Treves, take thee John Merrick, to my wedded husband. To have and to hold from this day forward, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I plight thee my troth." she repeated.

"The rings." the minster said to which David passed forward the ring cushion.

"With this ring I thee wed, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow: In the name of the Father, and of the son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen." the minster said.

"With this ring I thee wed, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow: In the name of the Father, and of the son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen." John repeated as he slid the ring onto Evelyn's finger.

"Let us pray. Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on Earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil. Amen." said the minster.

"You may now kiss the bride." he said.

John then pulled her in and planted his lips on hers, kissing for a full ten seconds before having to pull away.

The guests cheered with vigour, standing to applaud them. Evelyn smiled at her family who smiled and clapped avidly.
They then preceded to exit the church, walking hand in hand out of the doors. They stepped into the carriage that awaited them and rode back to Evelyn's house for the reception, the guests cheering after them.

"I can't believe we're married!" Evelyn exclaimed, smiling like she'd never smiled before.

"I know! I love you so much darling!" John said, kissing her.

Everyone then gathered back at the house. There was an abundance of food and decorations and there was cheer and joy all around. They ate, danced and drank before gathering round to cut the cake. The guests all got a piece before they bid farewell.

Treves then escorted John and Evelyn to the train station.

"Have fun on your honeymoon you two lovebirds." Treves smiled at them before he helped them load their suitcases onto the train.

"Goodbye Father." she hugged her Father before they stepped onto the train.

They waved as the train began to take off.

"We're going to have so much fun!" Evelyn said to John as they pulled away.