Chapter 4

It had been a month since John and Evelyn's engagement and they couldn't be happier. They hadn't yet started planning the wedding but they were due to very soon.

John was sitting on his bed reading a book when Evelyn came by.

"Good morning John." she came over and sat next to him.

"Hello my darling." he put his book aside.

"What's that you're reading." she asked inquisitively.

"Emma. It's been very good so far. I do so love Jane Austen's novels." he said.

"Ah yes. Jane Austen is a favourite of mine."

"I think we should start preparations for the wedding in the next couple of days." she shifted closer to him.

"Yes, it probably is time to start thinking about it." he said.

"I still can't believe we're actually getting married." he added.

"I thought you might have never asked. I'm so glad you did." she rested her head on his shoulder.

"Now, the reason I came was because we need to discuss where we're going to live. We can't stay here the rest of our lives. I think we should look at some houses on the market and decide on one." she said.

"Oh, I hadn't thought about that. I suppose we should. Do you have any houses in mind?" he said.

"Well there was this one that really caught my eye. It looks simply lovely. It's quite near Central London so I can get to work easily and all the houses are detached and have gates so we'll have plenty of privacy. And it has a beautiful garden."

"Sounds good to me. Any other houses you'd like to look at?" he said.

"Well, none of the others sounded as good as this one. I might have a look at them but I think my heart is set on this one."

"I've arranged for us to be shown round the house at one o'clock. Make sure you're ready for then. See you later John." she kissed him before she left.

****

"I can't believe we're buying our own house." John said as they rode in the cab.

"I know! We're finally becoming a family at long last." she smiled at him.

The estate agent was waiting outside when the carriage came to a holt.

"Oh it's looks wonderful!" John said, as he looked out of the window at the house. The house had black and gold iron gates and a large front garden leading up to the house. It was large and imposing yet quaintly charming with red bricks and white double doors.

The real estate agent's features recoiled in horror as John stepped out of the cab.

"Are you a Miss...Evelyn Treves?" he checked his clipboard, trying his best to put on a smile.

"Yes." she said.

"And who is this fellow?" he asked, almost sweating.

"This is my fiancé."

The man raised a judgemental eyebrow at them.

"I see. Well, I suppose it's time I show you round the house." he turned promptly on his heels.

"This house was built in 1802. It's one of the best in the whole street. I certainly hope you have the money for this enormous house." he cast John a quick glance.

"Oh don't worry, we do." Evelyn said, her arm interlinked with John's.

"So as you can already see, the house is well secluded with gates and a large front garden. You already get a sense of the house's grandeur as you enter into the hall. It's very much like the grand foyers you would find in mansions and palaces." he said, his initial discomfort starting to melt away.

The hall was long and wide, elegantly wallpapered and tiled. Two grand, sweeping staircases at either side of the hall led upstairs.

"And in here we have the first drawing room. There is another on the second level. Magnificent is it not? Very spacious and comfortable for all the family." he turned to face them.

"You're very lucky if you buy this house as it has recently been fitted with the new electric light system. Generally you only find electricity in upper class homes as it is very costly."

"Excellent." John finally spoke, much to the estate agent's surprise.

He showed them round the kitchen, bathrooms, two of the bedrooms, the servant's bedroom, dining room and parlour.

"There are eight bedrooms in total. Perfect for all the family to stay." he led them back to the hall.

"Are you sure we need quite so many rooms?" John asked.

"Oh don't you worry dear, we'll fill them in no time." she gave him a wink, John flushing scarlet.

"Now I'll show you the second and third floors, come this way." he ascended up the staircase.

"There are four bedrooms on this floor. The second drawing room is just on the left here." he showed them in.

"And these are the bedrooms. Very large and comfortable don't you think?."

They then went up another staircase to the third floor.

"And here we have the other two bedrooms, a bathroom and an attic."

"Now for the part you'll really like, the garden." he gave them a smile.

They went downstairs and through the back door into the garden.

"Beautiful is it not?" he beckoned them in.

The garden was extraordinarily large with trees and flower bushes scattered around. There was an arch way and a bench in the far corner.

"There is also a tennis court if either of you play. Even if you don't already I'm sure you'll find it very fun."

****

Once they had finished looking around they stood outside the house once again.

"So, are you thoroughly impressed with the house?" he asked.

"Oh yes, it's phenomenal." Evelyn said with excitement in her eyes.

"I see why you liked it so much." John said.

"Are you interested in buying it?" he peered over the rims of his glasses.

"What do you think John?" Evelyn turned to him.

"I love it. I think it will make a wonderful home for us." he smiled to the best of his abilities.

"We'll take it." she said.

"Excellent. We'll have all the papers ready to be signed in a month. Congratulations on the purchase of your new home!" he shook each of them by the hand, though with slight apprehension for John.

"See you on Thursday. Good day." he lifted his hat as John and Evelyn walked away.

"Oh my! We have our own house!" Evelyn was overjoyed.

"I know! I can't believe it." he took her by the hand as they walked down the street.

"Finally, some privacy." he said before he kissed her.