Chapter 5

John and Evelyn sat at the table in his room going over their wedding plans.

"Have you thought of a venue yet?" John asked.

"Well I was thinking maybe, St Philips?" she said.

"Really? That would be wonderful!" he replied.

"Who are we going to invite? Apart from your family there's not really many others who would attend." John said.

"I'm sure my friends and colleagues would love to go. And the nurses might want to as well."

"Well that's that sorted, what's next?" John asked.

"We need to find a caterer for the reception, and of course the wedding cake."

"Ok, we can go out tomorrow and find one." he said.

"Perfect. Well, all that's left is to find a dress!" Evelyn's eyes lit up with joy.

"Ah yes, the dress. I suppose I'll have to find a suit as well."

"Wonderful, well I need to be going. I have some dress shopping to do!" she stood up and kissed him before she left.

"Goodbye my dear, and good luck!" he said.

****

"Come on David, the cab's here." Anne said.

"Why do I have to go?" David pouted.

"You don't have anything else to do. Now come on." she gave him a cross look.

"Oh fine!" he hurled himself up off the couch.

"Let's go Mother." Evelyn ushered her to the door.

It didn't take long for them to arrive at the shop. Evelyn eagerly rushed in, admiring all the lavish dresses around her.

"How may I help you miss?" a sharply dressed woman walked over to her.

"I'm looking for a wedding dress." she said.

"Well we have plenty of those here. What sort of dress would you like?" the shopkeeper smiled.

"Something elegant and beautiful, but not too elaborate." she replied.

"I see. I think we have several dresses that will be to your liking." she turned and walked to the back of the store.

She returned with three dresses which she hung on a rail.

"Oh they're all so beautiful. It'll be hard it choose one." she ran her hand over the silk and lace of the dresses.

"Should I leave you to try them on?" she asked.

"Yes. Thank you." Evelyn smiled at her.

"The changing rooms are just in the corner. If you need anything just give me a shout." she walked over to the counter.

"David and I will sit outside while you get changed." Anne said as Evelyn took a dress into the changing rooms.

"Here it goes." she said before she closed the door.

Once she had changed she opened the door for them to see.

"Oh it's wonderful Evelyn." Anne smiled.

"It is rather nice but the petticoat is a bit too wide. I'll try the next one." she took the next dress.

"What do you think of this one?" Anne asked after she had changed.

"It is lovely but I don't like these big sleeves. Here's hoping the last one will be good."

Anne was reading her book when she looked up and saw Evelyn in the final dress.

The skirt and bodice were white and the upper part and sleeves were covered in intricate white floral lace. It was buttoned all the way up and had a ruffle and long train at the back.

"Oh my, you look so beautiful dear." she smiled endearingly.

"This is the one. I love it!" she was beaming with glee.

"Wow Evelyn. You look so...pretty!" David said as he marvelled at his sister.

"Thank you David." she said.

She changed back into her ordinary dress and they walked over to the counter.

"Did you find a dress?" the woman asked.

"Oh yes, it's wonderful." Evelyn said as the shopkeeper put the dress into a box.

Evelyn then paid before they went back home again.

****

"Well that's me sorted for a wedding dress!" Evelyn said.

"Excellent. I'm sure you'll look absolutely stunning in it." John gave her a kiss.

"Do you have your suit yet?" she asked.

"Yes, me and your father went out earlier to find one. It was rather expensive and your father did insist on paying but I assured him I could afford it."

"While we were out I got a little something for you. You can wear it for the wedding." he said as he passed her a velvet box.

"What is it?" she asked curiously.

"You'll see." he said.

She opened the box to reveal a glistening diamond tiara.

"Oh it's magnificent John! It'll look wonderful with my veil. Thank you darling." she kissed him.

"I hope you're ready because the wedding is next week." he said.

"I know! Time flies when you're having the best time of your life. It seems as though it was yesterday that I stood here and met you for the first time." she looked into his eyes.

"Yes it does, who knew that when you stepped into here my life would become better than I could ever imagine." they kissed again.