Ch. 1 The Beginning

Fire

Fire. It's the first thing I remember. There were fire, smoke and high pitched screams. I can't help but feel like it's my fault, but how could I have known.

The next thing I remember was panic. I felt sudden hatred settling in. I would find who did this and make them pay for it.

And then I saw him. My nephew. He was lying on the ground like trash. I scooped him up and cradled him in my arms. I felt tears going down my cheeks as I kissed his left cheek.

Then I heard a howl. A faint howl barely louder than the crackling of the fire. I recognized it along with the sent carried by the wind.

It's my enemy. The Rogues. I gently laid my nephew's body back on the ground. Kissing him once more on the cheek I stood up.

The howling is louder now. Much louder. How did they get here so fast. I took off like a bullet into the woods.

The howls got louder with each step I took. I started to panic. Which made me run even faster. My heart was pounding in my chest as I forced myself to run faster.

The howls got louder. It seemed like with each of my steps they took five. They were gaining up on me and fast.

I tried to resist the urge to look back but it was no use. As soon as I turned my head I heard a loud snap an I yelped in pain.

I looked at my ankle. It was gushing blood as I pried the traps powerful jaws apart. The blood acted as a lubricant making the jaws slip out my hands. The jaws snapped back shut over my wound.

I cried once more as I ripped them open again. This time I made sure they didn't slip between my fingers. I gently pulled my leg out.

The Rogues got closer. So close I could hear their foot steps. I forced myself to stand up. There wasn't a doubt in my mind that they knew I was injured.

I started off with a walk which slowly became a jog of some sort. They were still ganging up on me but they seemed to have slowed down. Maybe they were tired from the long run or maybe since they knew I was hurt they just wanted to enjoy the thrill of weak prey.

What ever the case I wasn't about to slow down. I couldn't afford to take a chance like that. They were stronger and faster than me. If they caught me they would either kill me or keep me for a slave warrior.

Especially since most of their pack died last year in the attacks. Many packs attacked them trying to kill them off.

I did feel bad for them though. Their children were massacred for being Rogues. Even though they were uncontrollable they were just defending their pack.

I looked around for a weapon. The first thing I saw was a branch. It was pretty big however not very heavy. Which was the perfect weapon at this rate.