Labor and Toil Part 3.

Sorry its so slow going, but that's how birth is, I promise in the next part there will definitely be a little baby!!!! PS: I do not know why it's all spaced out, my laptop's being a d#$%k.

   Rowan and Yrene helped Aelin to their chambers, much to her chagrin, and helped her out of her wet dress and into a soft, dry one.

     After settling Aelin into the bed, Rowan pulled a chair up to the bedside, slipping his hand into Aelin's. She frowned down at him, a tense look on her face. "I'm not going to give birth right now, Prince. Don't look so formal." Rowan narrowed his eyes at her before glancing down at himself. He supposed he was a bit tense, so he relaxed as much as his body would allow. Aelin snorted, and laid back in her mound of pillows, "Well, now you look like you've been smoking opium."
   He glared at her and sat up straighter, frowning as Yrene laughed. "She's right, you know. It will still be a while before she goes into hard labor," Yrene's voice called from the back of the room.
  The healer, it seemed, had been watching. Rowan nodded slowly, running his finger down Aelin's palm. He scanned his eyes over Aelin, then turned to the healer.
  "You said it would be a while, how long is that?"
  Yrene took her time looking over Aelin before asking. "How frequent are your contractions?"
   Aelin bit her bottom lip, "They started every half hour, but now they're getting closer, twenty— twenty-five minutes."
  Yrene looked upwards, thinking. "You are moving along quickly, so that's a good sign, but still it will be a while still."
  Aelin sighed, glancing quickly towards the clock on the mantle. It was only eleven-thirty. Rowan squeezed her hand softly. "So, what do we do?" Aelin asked softly, her eyes flicking to him.
   Yrene slid to the bed, "All you need to do is relax, drink some water, maybe try to drift off. I want you to rest. But I'm assuming you want to have the baby in here?"
   Aelin nodded her head vigorously.
 "Then I'll just stay up here, but in the grand room, you two probably want to be alone."
   Rowan certainly wanted to be alone with Aelin, and he was grateful as Aelin nodded her assent.

   Aelin and Rowan both thanked the healer as she walked to the grand room, one of Aelin's books in hand. She had murmured her welcome, and spared them a last glance as she slipped away. Aelin turned her gaze on Rowan, and patted the bed. "Come up here, it's not like I'm about to explode." Her King smiled a bit before carefully crawling up over her to settle down at her side. They were silent for a moment as he sat down, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. Aelin leaned against him, and set her hand atop her belly.
    "I'm scared, Rowan." She whispered softly, her voice wavering. 
    Rowan leaned in to kiss her brow, and murmured against her skin. "We are going to be fine, Fireheart. We always are." Aelin pursed her lips. The fear was horrible. It was warring inside of her with the anxiety and pain, and it was going to drive her out of her mind. Rowan placed his free hand over hers, stroking her skin through her cotton dress. The feeling of his hands on her was nice, but ...
  She wanted a distraction.
"Kiss me." She commanded

With a laugh, her King obliged her.

    Rowan leaned over her, pressing his lips to hers. The kiss was gentle, soft and sweet, and maddeningly slow. Aelin slipped an arm around the back of his neck, tugging him closer. Rowan's scent wrapped around her, and she smiled against his lips as she ran a hand up his muscled torso, marveling at his strength.

Aelin's distraction only lasted for a little while, though, because when Rowan's hand began to make idle strokes down her leg, and he began to press heated kisses to her neck, a contraction hit.
  "Rowan—"

    Her Mate pulled away, intertwining his hand with hers. Oh— gods, how was she supposed to do this. She squeezed her eyes shut and crushed his hand tightly. It was lasting longer than before, and it hurt. Rowan ran his free hand down her side, "Just breathe, love. Almost through." Aelin opened her eyes, nodding her head as she panted. It felt like she was being ripped apart. Worse than her cycle pains. She let out a groan of pain, and dug her nails into his hand. Rowan continued stroking her side, making sure she looked him in the eye.
   "Almost done, love. Almost."