Courts and Calamities

Aelin's eyes drooped as the courtier droned on, and felt Aedion's elbow dig in to her side. She shot him a glare and sat up higher. "We desperately need funds for our people, and I strongly suggest a marriage with another kingdom." She felt the sudden anger pour of both Rowan and Aedion. Aelin stood, bracing her hands on the table, "Sir, if you think I am going to whore away my court for funds, then you are sorely mistaken." She adored most of her court, most being the key word. The plump man sat down in his chair, "Yes, my Queen."  Aelin smoothed the skirt of her dress and sat down, "Recently it came to my attention that we have barely had any connection with the other kingdoms except during the Great War, and Lady Lysandra suggested a ball." Rowan and Ren glanced at her, and the court began murmuring. A tall women with brown hair stood, "My Queen, that is a wonderful idea, but when will it be held?" Aelin flicked her gaze to Lysandra, "Lady, how does a month sound?" She hated using court formalities, but unfortunately it was needed. Lysandra looked thoughtful then said, "That sounds wonderful." "Good, court dismissed." The court bustled out, Aedion and Lysandra pausing at the doorway before exiting, leaving only Rowan and Aelin sitting in silence. "First of all, you never told me about a ball. Second of all, are you alright?"  Rowan questioned. Aelin snorted, " Well, first of all, Rowan. I don't have to tell you anything. And second of all, I am fine."  Rowan continued staring at her, Really. "Rowan if you think I have a problem with suggestions, you're wrong. But those suggest I pimp my friends out to other kingdoms for funds, I will have a problem."  He nodded, his shoulders seeming to ease a bit. He always seemed tense these days, and it was beginning to bug her that she didn't know why. "Like what you see, Princess?" Rowans voice rang in Aelin's ears. She had been staring.                 Aelin smirked and walked over to her mate, and settled down in his lap, pressing her lips to his, "Maybe I do." He shifted in his seat to wrap his arm around her, but then the loud voice of one of the courtiers filled the room, "Your Majesty, I have some trade papers..." The man's voice faded as he saw the scene before him, his face flushing red. Aelin quickly leapt from Rowan's lap, hiding her grin. "Sir, you may leave the papers there on the table." The man, his name finally appearing, Sir Geat, practically threw the papers down and exited. Rowan glanced at the door, and hissed at her, "Aelin, we need to be more careful about this." Aelin rolled her eyes, "About what? Our relationship?" He nodded. "Rowan, is this what you have been so stressed about?" He stepped closer to her kissing her brow, and whispered, "No, Aelin." Aelin knew he was telling the truth, but there was something else. Something he wasn't telling her. "Alright, but there is something wrong Rowan. I know it." Placing a kiss on his cheek, she quickly shifted and flew of the room.

      Rowan stood in the room alone, regretting the fact that he didn't tell Aelin what had been bothering him these past few weeks. He hated not telling her about things, but he didn't want to stress her farther. He sighed, "Gods."        Aelin shifted, and knocked on Lysandra's door. There was a loud thump then Lysandra's voice crying, "Coming." The door swung open with a slightly disheveled Lysandra answering, and Aelin couldn't hide her smile. "So Lysandra what was that noise?" Lysandra's eyes flew to the closet in the corner, "Nothing. I-I dropped something." Aelin raised a brow as she stepped inside Lysandra's chamber. Aedion's scent reached her nose.      That was why they left court so quickly. "Aelin, please sit." Aelin sat down at the small table, noticing the rumpled bed. "So, Aelin? What did you need?" Aelin's eyes shifted to the closet. What she had come to ask wouldn't be asked in front of Aedion. "I was wondering when you were returning to Liber? I know with the upcoming ball Evangeline would hate to miss palnning." It was true the young girl did enjoy parties. "I was hopping to leave after our meeting tomorrow, collect Evangeline, and return." Aelin nodded, Evangeline had stayed home this meeting for her lessons. "Well Lady I believe that is all. I will see you tomorrow."  Lysandra's eyes glittered, "You are much to formal, my friend." Aelin hugged Lysandra and headed for the door. "Good bye, Aedion."  Lysandra slowly looked towards the closet, then towards Aelin, a horrified look on her face. "Good bye, Aelin." Came Aedion's muffled response. Laughing Aelin left, and headed for her room.

Liber is latin for freedom.