No Matter What

This is FWLP. Fluff with little plot.

  Rowan Whitethorn watched silently as Aelin summoned a ball of water from within her water skein. Rolling it along her arm, and bouncing it in the air. They'd been traveling two weeks now, and everyone was tired and anxious. Especially Aelin, she had been quieter the past few days, more tense. He guided his horse over to her, and she flicked her gaze to him, the ball of water levitating near her shoulder. He smiled broadly enough to show his canines, "I still say your self-preservation is weak." She rolled her eyes, and sent the ball of water flying at his face, but it froze and he caught with one hand. "Buzzard."  Rowan laughed dryly, but still studied her. "What?", she snapped. He hesitated,  but continued, "What's wrong, Aelin." Aelin narrowed her eyes, and looked away. "Nothing is wrong.", she was quiet, and deadly. He glanced around, Aedion and Lysandra were ahead of them talking and laughing loudly, and grabbed Aelin's hand, but she yanked it away. "Rowan, I'm fine.", she growled. Fixing her gaze back on the road, she sped up. He cursed, and trotted up beside her. "Aelin, I can tell when you're lying." , he hissed. She rolled her neck, looked at him, sighing. "I'm just worried about things." Irreverent as always. "What sort of things. The war, the castle, the people, the-" Aelin hissed, "Yes! Yes to all of those things, Rowan. I'm worried about the war, and if we'll survive it. I'm worried that the castle will be in ruins. I'm worried the people won't want to fight." He reached for her, and this time she didn't flinch. Her hand was cold, despite the sweltering heat. She squeezed it tighter, and looked at him with tired eyes. "I'm sorry, I'm not overly excited to see the castle. To relive those memories." He understood completely, if he had to return to the cabin Lyria had been . . "There's nothing to be sorry for, Aelin. And when we get to the the castle, we'll be with you. I'll be with you." She huffed a laugh, "Thank you, Rowan." He looked at her, and raised his brows. Anytime, Princess.

   An hour later they sat around a large campfire, Aelin leaning casually against Rowan. Evangeline giggled gleefully, as the fire shifted into a flower, then a heart. Aelin smiled. The young girl had been a blessing throughout the trip, bringing a smile on anyone's face anytime she smiled. She sat up and stretched her arms back, yawning. "Aedion, how much longer until we areive at Terrasen's boarders." Aedion shrugged, from his stump, where he had been carefully honing a blade. "I'd say about a week, week and a half." Alright. A week. They would have to take a night to plan what they'd do upon arrival.  In their haste, they hadn't said much about her arrival. She yawned again, and stood. "I'm going to try to get some sleep. Goodnight. " They all bid her goodnight, and she wandered off for her bed roll.
      After setting up her thin mat, she tucked an arm underneath her head, and closed her eyes. She distantly heard Rowan bidding the others goodnight. A few minutes later a warm body lay next to her. It still drove her mad to not be able to have him, but she made do. She pressed her back to his chest. He sighed in content, and slung an arm around her waist. This was the closest they had to being able to do anything. "When we get to the castle, Aelin. . " His tone alone made her shiver, and his words. . She turned to face him, and cursed the thin mat beneath her. Lightly he kissed her lips, groaning quietly. She could feel the blood rush to her face, feel the need for him rise, but she pushed a hand to his chest, stopping his motions. He hissed, but pulled back. "I want to, Rowan. I really do, but do you want an audience?" He laughed roughly. "When we get to the castle, I don't think I'll care." She slapped his shoulder, but scooted in close enough that her nose brushed his neck. "I'm hopeful you won't." He wrapped an arm around her waist, and she breathed in his scent. "Don't worry about anything, Aelin. We will persevere.  I promise, no matter what." She grinned and nodded. Kissing his neck she closed her eyes, listening to his breathing.

    Aedion covered his head and groaned. For once in his miserable life he wanted a goodnight sleep, without having to hear the soppy romance of his cousin. He flipped over again and covered his head.

    Lysandra awoke before dawn, the rest of the camp sleeping soundly. The sun peaked quietly over the mountains, and the brisk chill of the morning bit her skin. Groaning, she eased herself from Evangeline's grip, and stood. She scanned the clearing where they had camped, and smiled. Aelin and the Prince lay tucked together under a large oak. Her Queen's head lay on the Prince's chest, and he'd slung an arm around her waist. A part of her gushed at the sight. For the past couple of weeks, she'd seen the secret touches they'd been sharing, and the looks of longing. Each time she'd point it out to Aedion he would roll his eyes, and move on, but Lysandra knew he was glad Aelin had someone.          
     Shifting, she flew to a tree in a ravens form. Lysandra knew full well that they had time before they had to get on the road, so she sat in the silence. Had she been in her human form, she would have cooed as Rowan awoke and kissed Aelin's brow. The Queen sleepily murmured something in his ear, that made Rowan bark a laugh. That. She thought. That's what I want.  Aedion's sleeping form caught her eye, and she felt as though she was blushing. She would find that type of love one day. For her, not anyone else, but love for her.