The Wound

This is another take on when Rowan got shot with the arrow, because I want to know what Aelin was thinking when she goes "They tried to shoot my. . . Rowan through the heart."

Chaol pressed his hands to the Fae's shoulder as hard as he could, guilt washing over him. The Prince could barely keep his eyes open, but he struggled towards Aelin, as she hurtled across the bridge, dragging the witch with her. Aedion bellowed at Aelin to run, and shifted his gaze to Rowan, who fought to sit up. "Keep down, you ass. If I let you die she'll kill me." Chaol looked away from the warm blood seeping through his fingers and looked towards Aelin, a few more steps- The Queen practically threw down the witch, and sprinted towards them, bloodied and beaten. Rowan lunged for her, but Aedion pushed him back down with a growl. Chaol looked towards Nesryn, who's lips were set in a grim line. Aelin skidded to a halt next to Rowan, dust flying. "Oh gods, Rowan-" Aelin's shoulders began to shake, and Chaol felt a jolt of pain as tears began trickling their way down her beaten face. The Fae blindly reached for her and she grabbed his hand. "Fireheart," Rowan murmured. Aelin looked at him, and rage, pure rage poured off of her. "What in Hellas realm were you thinking." She hissed. "Aelin, we need to go," Aedion whispered, grabbing her shaking shoulders. She snarled dangerously, but nodded. Aedion pushed past her, and looked to Nesryn, "Nesryn can you get the arrow out?" She nodded, and moved to Rowan, who was looking at Aelin as if he might never see her again. "Aelin, I'm going to find some bloodmoss, it will stanch the bleeding." Aedion's voice was calm, but Chaol knew it was only for Aelin's sake. Aelin merely nodded blankly, and retreated to where Lysandra stood, feet away from the wounded Fae.

Aelin stood by Lysandra, and forced herself to breathe. To think. The entire world was crushing in on her, suffocating her. Her eyes flicked to Chaol and a white hot rage shot through her. If he hadn't been so gods damned stupid, Rowan wouldn't have been shot, and they could have been halfway back to Rifthold, safe. But even that was burned away when Rowan gave a groan of agony as Nesryn removed the arrow. More of his blood pulsed out and she almost collapsed. Aelin knelt next to him, placed a careful hand on his other shoulder. "Rowan. I swear to all the gods-" Her voice broke roughly and he looked up at her, his green eyes hazy. She brushed back his hair, and continued on. "You have to stay awake, because we need you, and who else am I going to have to annoy the hell out of." Rowan laughed quietly, grabbing her bloody hand. She squeezed his hand tightly and looked around for Aedion. She knew--in her very soul-- that if Aedion didn't find that damned moss, Rowan would not make it. Across from her, Chaol pressed a large hand against Rowan's wound, and she almost screamed as she saw the blood seep from between his fingers. She jostled Rowan a bit, and his eyes snapped open.
Damn it, stay awake you Fae bastard.
His eyes seemed to whisper.
I will. I am. Don't worry, Aelin.
She snarled at his words. If he hadn't been so pale, so gods damned weak-looking, she would have slapped him.
I am your queen, and your carranam. You will let me worry.
Rowan managed a small smile, and she almost didn't hear Aedion bark at her to move so he could apply the moss. Then they were heaving Rowan up, and hauling ass out of the clearing.

Lysandra watched as they half carried, half dragged the Fae warrior through the Oakwald, repeatedly offering her assistance. The damned fools ignored her, and pressed on. Gods. As she looked at Aelin, her breath had left her body. The pain and fear and unadulterated fury that flickered across her drawn face made her step closer to the queen as they walked on, the only comfort she could offer. Distantly, the sound of Chaol quietly asking Nesryn to take over for him reached her, and she paused by her friend. As Chaol mutely switched with Nesryn, Lysandra watched as Aelin paled and swallowed, looking sick. "He needs to rest," she said gently, and watched as Aelin's fingers twitched towards Rowan. "We can't just camp out in the middle of the woods," Aelin's voice was hoarse, "He needs a healer." The captain looked towards Aelin, his eyes flickering, "I know where we can take him."