Years Gone By

Aelin Ashryver Galathynius was curled up in the woods outside the palace, clutching a liquor bottle in her cold hands. Why was she so cold? Today they had died. Why did they die? She couldn't remember, the liquor seemed to be clouding her thoughts. Because you failed us, a voice seemed to whisper in her ear. She hadn't failed them. You are never going to defeat Erawan, you aren't even twenty. " Shut up.", she mumbled. You will never be able to be a proper queen- " Shut up!", she screamed, slamming the bottle on the ground. The shards of glass cut her hand, and pieces were embedded in her skin. "Shut up.", was all she said before passing out.

" Aedion, have you see Aelin?", Rowan asked, and Lysandra flinched. Aedion's eyes flickered as he said,"No." Rowan knew he was lying. "Aedion....", he growled. Aedion took a shaky breath as he said,"Today, eleven years ago the King of Ardarlan attacked Terrasen. I believe Aelin is out mourning." Rowan paused, how could he have not noticed, the shaky breaths, the quietness at dinner, what a stupid, stupid mistake. "Do you know where I can find her?" he asked. "She will probably be in the woods." Rowan nearly ran out of the room before saying," I am so sorry." Aedion swallowed, " Thank you." Rowan sprinted out of the castle, looking for any sign,or scent of her. Then he scented something that smelled horrifyingly like blood. Shifting into his hawk form he trailed the scent.

Aelin heard footsteps in the snow, barely. She pushed herself into a sitting position, the liquor numbing the pain in her cut arm. The scent of pine and snow wrapped around her, Rowan. She didn't want to see him at the moment. "What the hell were you thinking.", he yelled. She could feel the rage pour from him, and something else, something like..pity. She flashed her teeth and said," About drinking, want some." Rowan snarled, and bent as if to pick her up. Aelin hissed, and scooted away. Rowan looked defeated, but right now all Aelin wanted was to be alone. "Aelin, please lets go back to to the castle." He begged. She shook her head," I can't go back and be a queen." Rowan knelt, and gently brushed the hair from her face and said, " Fireheart what-" She cut him off,"Do not call me Fireheart today. That's what they called me." Rowan sighed, and sat down beside her. "You are stronger than this, Aelin." "No I'm not, I am not stronger than Erawan." , she countered. Rowan turned,"Is that what this is about, Erawan?" "Not entirely, it's just that coming home brought good, and bad memories, especially bad." Rowan nodded. They were silent for what felt like hours before he said," What kind of bad memories." "Li-like the night they were killed." She stumbled over her words, reaching for the broken liquor bottle. Rowan put his hand on her arm to stop her, she glanced at him and stopped. She put her head on his chest, and he pulled her closer, carefully avoiding her injured arm.                 She wished they could stay like this forever, with no war and death and kingdoms to save. As if her read her thoughts Rowan said, " I don't want to, but we have to go back." She nodded, and then laughed as neither of them made a move to get up. He sighed, and got up. He offered her a hand to pull her up, which she excepted. They started walking away, hand in hand. Out of the darkness.