'Problem'

I woke up, took my pills, had a nice shower, quickly slipped on my uniform, ate a tasty breakfast, grabbed my bag, and headed off, all as per my usual daily routine.

It was only after arriving in class that the normality of the day was thrown off.

After taking my seat, I watched my classmates trickle into the room over the next hour, until every empty seat was eventually taken, other than Serena's.

I can never get used to the idea that she just doesn't show up to class every now and again. It feels all the more worrying now as well, given that Dawn's left.

As Sycamore continues to drone on, I find my gaze flicking every so often over to her seat, as if she might appear there any moment now. Nobody else seems to care at all about her absence, but they have little reason to.

Serena being absent from class, after all, is perfectly normal. Or at least, it was. Her attendance hasn't been all that bad from what I've seen in my time here, but it was apparently much more spotty beforehand.

This is also an ominous time for her to be gone. It's the day before her birthday, and my suspicions are starting to rise, after the breakdown she had in class when it was mentioned.

An increasing amount of my thoughts is taken up by how I can help her, but in the end, I feel like I can't do anything.

The bell heralding the beginning of lunchtime rings out, shaking me out my thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stand outside of the door to Serena's room, hoping that she isn't in too much of a state as I nervously clutch the worksheets Sycamore asked me to pass onto her,

With a long breath to steady myself, I rap my knuckles on the door in front of me.

...Silence. I listen intently for any sound of shuffling coming from inside, but I can't hear a thing.

I knock on the door again, slightly harder.

Still no answer. How strange.

"Serena, it's just me. Sycamore asked me to give you some stuff." I say loudly.

Just before I slip the sheets under her door, thought, I hear the handle rattling.

As the door opens halfway, I quickly try to see how Serena's faring. It's a task made somewhat more difficult by her oversized gown hiding so much of her body.

She doesn't look sick, or at least not immediately so. She looks terribly tired.

"Hey! Sycamore wanted me to give you these since you weren't in class today." I smile at her.

I hold out the loose sheets, which she tentatively takes in her hands. The way she moves is devoid of thought. Her posture is slumped, in an unusual manner for someone that's so often tense and wound up.

...

"Would you like me to stay? I don't have anything to do at the moment, so it wouldn't be any trouble." I smile at her.

Her eyes slide away from me...bad sign.

"Serena...?" I blink a few times.

She slowly shakes her head.

"W....o-okay. Um...good night, then?" I feel my heart break.

With that, Serena steps back and closes her door without a second word.

More than feeling heartbroken, I retreat back to my room.

I don't even bother to turn on the light, opting instead to simply change into my pajamas, quickly choke down my evening pills, and collapse onto my bed.