'Goodbye'

"I think the taxi is on its way..." I say hearing the taxi from a distance.

"Well spotted, Ashy, I only just heard it as well." Dawn chuckles.

A small wave of pride washes over me. To have noticed something at the same time as Dawn must mean that I've become more aware of my surroundings.

Once the taxi stops where we're standing, the driver rolls down a window and leans over. After confirming that, yes, Dawn is the same Dawn that booked the trip, we sort out her luggage.

The driver opens the trunk of the taxi and takes Dawn's suitcase, with Dawn climbing into the back seat as he loads it into the trunk and slams it shut.

After getting back into his seat and shutting the doors, he waits for us to say our farewells.

"Have a safe trip, Dawn" Serena says to her bestfriend.

"Take care!" I say to her.

"Of course I will! I'll be back before long, don't worry. there will still be another people here for you too, won't be there, Ash?" Dawn says.

"You bet" I give her the thumbs up.

I turn and smile to Serena, putting my hand on her shoulder.

She only manages to keep eye contact with me for a couple of seconds, her cheeks red all the while, before turning back to Dawn

"See ya, Dawn!" 

"G-good bye!" Serena breaks out of her shell and brightly says it.

Dawn gives her farewells to the both os us with a fair measure of reluctance. Without further ado, the driver starts the engine once more and they begin the journey down the hill, and towards the airport.

The two of us stand at the gates for a long time even after they've disappeared from sight, not really knowing what to do.

"So, what do you want to do?" I ask Serena.

"I...don't know." She replies.

The bus stop, standing by the school gates like a mute sentinel, puts a strange idea in my mind.

"Let's go into town and look for a bookshop or something?" I suggest.

"Okay." She smiles brightly.

I was actually expecting her to reject and call it a day, but to my surprise, she wants to.

"Really?" I say

"R-really. Let's go." She nods.

I can't work out why Serena has decided to agree with me, but I'm not about to ask her to change her mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After making it into the town we walk spontaneously, I decide to ask her where we should go.

"There should be a bookshop just up ahead, do you want to check it out?" I ask her.

"S-Sure" She nods.

The crowds start to build as we head towards the bookshop along the raised walkways. Serena latches her other arm onto me as well, making our progress a little slower.

As we walk, the sound of the traffic makes me think of a possible distraction for her.

"I was wondering, Sere...have you thought yet about when you're going to learn to drive?" I question her.

"D-driving?" She says.

"Yeah. you're kind of lucky, in a way; there aren't a whole lot of students here that are allowed to drive." I smile at her.