'Ouch'

"Ouch"

Opening my eyes, I see a pair of saucer-like green eyes looking up at me. They belong to the perpetrator, a short girl who bumped into me and has now fallen down onto the hallway floor.

She wears a PE uniform and a very worried frown. The former strikes me as a rather strange thing to have on during a lunch break.

...More striking than that, though, is that she doesn't have legs.

Or she does, but they are not flesh and bone. Her pale and very much flesh-and-bone thighs end in shins and feet made of some black metallic or plastic-like material.

They look disturbingly artificial and unnatural. It almost makes me forget that my chest is hurting.

The girl winces a little, rubs her nose and jumps up.

"Aw man, hey, are you all right? I'm sorry about that, really! O wasn't looking where I was going, and you just came out of nowhere. Sorry....Sorry!" She's looking really apologetic.

"It's okay. Don't worry about it...hmp.."

I say that, but there's a stinging pain growing in my chest, and I know that this is about the biggest possible danger for my condition.

Don't overexert yourself, don't forget your medication and most of all, don't get hit in the chest.

I try to rub my solar plexus to chase the pain away, holding my breath in an attempt to hear my heartbeat.

...

...

...

It seems normal....

"H-Hey, should I get a nurse?" She looks seriously worried.

I stare at her for a few seconds dumbfounded, until I realize that I probably looked worse off than I really was, doubled over myself and looking all tense.

Damn, I'm overly worried about my heart.

"N-No need, I'm fine." I continue to rub my chest.

"You sure you're okay? I hit you pretty hard." She looked at the floor.

"You bet I am, I said I was fine, so I am. Nothings broken, no harm done!" I smile, but I was in pain.

"Ash, what happened?" Dawn asks. Oh, yeah, she can't see. She sounds very worried. More than what the situation deserves, really.

"S-Someone just bumped into me, nothing serious. Just w-winded." I rubbed the back of my head.

"Sorry! I was in a hurry!" The girl who bumped into me looked like she wanted to cry.

"That 'someone' here is Elle, isn't it?" Dawn raises her eyebrows.

"Hey, Dawn....S-Serena" She smiles.

I guess the girls know each other.

"Do please try to be more careful. You might be sturdy enough to endure these sorts of accidents, but there are people who aren't" Dawn put her hands on her hips, with the cane still in her hand.

Elle blushes and starts to fidget nervously like a little child caught misbehaving.

Reminds me of my little sister back home, I find myself smiling.

"O-Oh okay." She smiles nervously.

"Aaah! I gotta go!" Elle speeds off.

"Does that kind of thing happen often around here?" I smile.

"There are more rules in Vaniville than usual for running in corridors.....But that rarely stops Elle." Dawn does a half smile.

She shakes her head weakly and offers a slight, composed smile.