Chapter 8

The alley was quiet and deserted, which was perfect. The darkness of night shrouded Shadow perfectly as he leaned against an old dumpster with his arms crossed. Knuckles should be coming anytime now. They agreed to meet here because Robotnick had spies everywhere. Shadow and Knuckles planned this alleyway out because it was small enough that Shadow could destroy any robots around just before Knuckles arrived. It seems Robotnick didn't think of spying here though. Shadow checked a few times, almost disappointed to find nothing. His anger had really spiked lately and he needed something to take it out on.

A shadow moved nearby, but Shadow didn't even flinch. He knew the way Knuckles moved. The echidna stood in front of shadow and sighed, "This is the worst situation we've ever been in. After Rouge contacted you, I learned more. Seems Robotnick's contacted an old acquaintance of yours. Remember Black Doom?"

Hearing the name sent a wave of anger through Shadow instantly. He nodded, urging Knuckles to continue.

"Robotnick wants to work with him to bring Solaris back. It seems we were right about the dimension problems before. You'd think the Egg Head would learn from the last time," Knuckles frowned as he said this, "If Black Doom gets his hands on Solaris, who knows what'll happen."

Shadow looked away, "Black Doom has no interest in a god. He wants me."

Knuckles sounded surprised, "After all these years? I thought he would have given up on that!"

Shadow shook his head, "He has. He wants revenge, not help. It doesn't matter. Now I know what I'm doing next," He clenched his fists and turned toward the echidna, "You go to Rouge. This is a battle I've needed to fight for a long time. I need to face Doom on my own, and you're needed in this dimension."

Knuckles's eyes widened as if he'd seen his grandfather rise from the grave, "Shadow! You can't do something so reckless! Sonic would kill me if I let you! Think of him! Think of Light!"

Shadow felt as if Knuckles had given him a powerful right hook directly in his heart. His ears flattened against his head and he sighed, "I'm doing this for them. I'll do whatever it takes to return, but I can't just sit here and wait for him to take my child. If he knows about Light, he'll know her secret."

A crimson eyebrow rise at this statement, "What secret? What have you and Sonic been keeping from us?"

Shadow turned away, "It doesn't matter! now go to Rouge, Tails, or even Silver. I don't really care! Leave me to my mission, leave Sonic to his. All you need to do is protect your family and protect Light!"

With that, Shadow sped away, leaving a very befuddled Knuckles to cough on his dust. He wasn't sure how to open a portal to another dimension, but he had to find a way.

Sonic and Elise were standing on the marble balcony. The night breeze ruffled his quills and lifted Elise's hair. He was still in shock that she'd had a daughter. He was full of questions.

Elise leaned against the rail and smiled, "I wouldn't trade her for the world," She looked at Sonic and sighed, "I was so young when you left. I was so certain that I was in love, that my heart would never be whole after you, but that wasn't really true. I mean, in a way... I did love you. I didn't even look at another person in a romantic way. However, I was told I must have a child to take over. I was furious. I couldn't force myself to marry! But it turned out I didn't have to. A doctor told me of a way I could get pregnant without a man, and I could choose her looks. Within nine months, she was here. And I love her," She sighed, and turned toward the sky again "I guess I never really was meant to marry."

Sonic drunk it all in like the sweetest water. Elise had never married! Esmeralda was only hers! Sonic understood now why Elise was so understanding about his pregnancy situation. In a way, it made sense that she loved being a mother. She had always been so full of light and love.

"Esmeralda's lucky," He smiled and sighed, "Shadow and I hid everything about our pasts from Light. We wanted to protect her from all of it. We didn't want her to feel like an experiment, a freak."

Elise placed a gentle hand on Sonic's shoulder, "I understand your intentions Sonic, but I also know that this would sever the bond of trust between you and your daughter. She is an incredible being! She has you and Shadow, two amazing heroes who everyone once adored inside her. I think telling her would have been the best."

Sonic felt the tightness of his throat and swallowed. He missed his family terribly, and the fear for Light made it worse, "We did, right before Robotnick attacked us. I just hope she can hold on through this, because it'll be the most risky mission I've ever had!"

"Yes, but you're doing it for love. You've always did it for love, just in a different form. You love this world, you loved the thrill of the chase. Now it's for something deeper. Try to think of it as no different. Stress won't help. I'm going to tuck Esmeralda in. Try to get some sleep," She gave Sonic a brief hug and headed back into the palace. Sonic sighed and rubbed his eyes. He wanted to take her advice but he just couldn't! He'd never been so separated from every one before! He was always with someone, usually Tails. Now he doesn't know what's going on with everyone, and doesn't even know what Shadow's doing.

That's what killed him the most. He didn't know where his family was. For all he knew, none of them were alive! He shook the thought away and turned for the palace door. Some sleep would be a good idea, if such a luxury were to come tonight.