Chapter 7

Sonic's knees were wobbling and his hand shook. Soleanna Palace was just ahead. Sonic hadn't even been in Soleanna since the festival after Elise blew out the flame. To see her again after eighteen years... She was fifteen the last time they encountered, with no contact. What if Elise didn't remember him? What if she blamed him for the trials she had to face? What if she hated him for his absence?

Sonic didn't even know what he'd say. Even if she did remember him she would remember the cocky, confident hero. He was now an over emotional wreck at best. Something about the uterus implant that changed his hormones, giving him more feminine emotions even after it had been removed. It was a curse, but it might have filled a small part of the void of Light not having a real mother.

The thought of Light almost instantly gave Sonic the strength to move forward. He can't be a coward now. His daughter's life depends on him protecting Elise. A small case of nerves can't stop him.

Sonic met a guard at the palace door. He was a tall, older man with a white, handle-bar mustache. He saw Sonic and bowed low, "Sonic! It is a honor to meet you! Queen Elise is on the top balcony enjoying the view. Please come in!"

He stepped aside and Sonic passed with a friendly nod. Now all that separated him from Elise was a few flights of stairs. A colony of bats erupted in his stomach. A million thoughts ran through his head. How different will she be? How much has she changed? Is she still the girl he once loved?

These thoughts had haunted Sonic for a long time. Now all that kept him from his answer was ten steps.

Seven more steps.

Five more steps.

Three more.

Two.

Sonic forced himself to step up onto the balcony, and his heart stopped. In front of him, was a tall woman with long, layered, red hair that fell to her waist. She wore a silver, ballroom style dress that brushed the floor with sunset orange sleeves that draped at her wrist. Sonic knew she was still beautiful even from behind. As she turned around, his heart kicked into hyper speed. It didn't look like she'd aged past twenty, and the glitter in her silver eyes was still there. She had grown into quite the young woman.

Sonic braced himself for her to look at him confused, order him to leave, or a least ask who he is. Instead, she covered her mouth with her hands, her eyes watering.

"Sonic?" Her voice was older, but it was still soft.

Sonic forced an almost sad smile, "Yeah, it's me."

She gathered her skirt and ran to him, dropping to her knees and wrapping her arms around him in a vice grip hug, "I thought it was a dream!"

Sonic hugged her back tightly, "No it wasn't."

They held on to each other for a long time before Elise stood up and smoothed her dress. After regaining her composure, she said, "Why don't you follow me to the sitting room? We can catch up there."

Sonic nodded in agreement, unsure if he was ready to tell her about his life. However, he needed to. She deserved to know why he never came back. They sat in a grand room full of intricately carved furniture with the finest silk cloth. Elise sat beside him and smiled, "So, what's life been like in the last eighteen years?"

Sonic scratched his head, "I don't know where to start..."

Her smile widened, and Sonic noted the crow's feet at the corners of her eyes, "What did you do after I blew out the flame?"

That part was easy. For a year after that, Sonic's life was the same it had been before. However, when he got to the part where he was captured, he held his gaze away, hesitating at the parts that told Elise he had a child." At the end, he forced himself to look up at her, expecting disgust and anger. However, there were tears streaming down her face. She hugged him again, tighter than before, "You're so brave!"

Sonic was shocked, but welcomed the hug gratefully. After the hug was over, Elise wiped at her eyes and took Sonic's hands, "Shadow's very lucky. I only met him once, but I didn't really pay attention to him. I was worried you were dead," She laughed without humor, "I know this is all bizarre and wild, but I am here for you Sonic."

Sonic smiled and thanked her, "I just wish I didn't have such ridiculous emotions. They are pretty much a curse."

Elise shrugged, "I don't know about that, I mean, it's a motherly thing. It can be very helpful. In fact, Edwin? Can you call Esmeralda in please?"

Sonic turned around as a small voice said, "Yes mother?"

His eyes widened greatly and his jaw nearly dropped. He was looking at a Black haired, brown eyed version of Elise just as he knew her before. She even had that same glint in Elise's eyes. Sonic was staring right at Elise's daughter!