Chapter 18

It was now lunch time on Monday and I was walking to Amber's locker, so that we could walk to the cafeteria together. When I got there, I saw that Dylan was already there. I leaned on the locker beside hers' and waited for her to put away her books. She closed her locker and we started to head to the cafeteria.

"I forgot to ask this morning. How was your date on Saturday?" Amber asked as we entered the cafeteria.

"It was okay." I said. We walked up the line to order our lunches.

"Are you going out with him again?" Dylan asked.

"No. I only consider him as a friend. Nothing more." I replied.

"So you don't like him?" Dylan queried. We got our lunch and walked to our table.

"No I don't." I said.

"Of course you don't," Amber said as we sat down at the table. "You like Ethan."

"I don't like Ethan." I proclaimed.

"I think you're in denial, Jess." Dylan agreed with Amber.

"You are always hanging out with him. You guys argue a lot and just now when we mention his name, your face lights up." Amber replied. Dylan nodded his head in agreement.

"I do not like him!" I insisted. I looked at Amber then at Dylan. "I don't!"

"You do, you just don't know it yet." Dylan replied.

"You guys are crazy." I shake my head at them. "He is just a friend and he is fun to hang out with."

"Whatever you say, Jess." Amber sang and grinned knowingly at me. Dylan wriggled his eyebrows and looked at me with a cheeky grin too. I shake my head at them again and continued to eat my lunch.

After a while, Amber spoke, "Hey, I was thinking that we could go to the beach on Saturday. Jessie could relieve some stress. You know, the competition is coming up in less than two weeks."

"That's a great idea." I exclaimed.

"Yes it is. Let's do it." Dylan agreed.

"Okay. We will all go in my car. Be ready at 1:30pm." Amber said excitedly. We talked some more after that, while finishing our lunch.

                          ♦♦♦♦

After school on Wednesday, I was home and lying in bed, bored out of my mind. My mother was still at work and Tamara was not home from school yet. I got up from my bed to get my laptop, when I heard a horn honking outside my house.

Forgetting about the laptop, I went downstairs to see who was outside. I opened the front door and looked outside to see Ethan parked in the driveway and he was leaning on his bike. I walked up to him.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I came to get you. Get on." He said climbing onto his bike.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"You'll see." He grinned and handed me the other helmet. He put on his and waited for me to climb onto the bike. I looked at him suspiciously, but put the helmet on my head and climbed on behind him.

After riding for about fifteen minutes, Ethan stopped the bike and took off his helmet. I got off the bike and took my helmet off. The wind blew my hair all over the place as soon as I took off the helmet. I really should have went back in my house for an elastic band. Trying to tame my hair, I looked around my surroundings. I noticed that we were in front of an arcade.

"You took me to an arcade?" I asked excitedly, looking back around at him. I frowned at Ethan, when I saw that he was looking at me weirdly. He had an expression on his face that I couldn't decipher.