Break In

Mikoto never imagined what "Death" would be like.

What it would be like, to wait in the depths of space, invisible to everybody, watching your dead body in the arms of the sobbing Luffy, to watch Igneel roar angrily at Elohim.

Watching all of this, being right there, with nobody to see you at all.

And to top it off, she had a weird chain protruding from her chest.

She cried of course. She wanted to watch her children grow up. She wanted to tell Touma she was sorry. She wanted to tell everybody in the guild she was sorry.

But there was no time.

Before she knew it, Rukia Kuchiki was floating next to her in the depths of space, her arms folded, smiling a little sadly.

Mikoto smiled back and simply said. "They sent you to come fetch me right?"

Rukia needed only to nod before she put the end of her zanpakutou on Mikoto's forehead, and before she knew it, she was whisked away to Soul Society.

Upon arriving there, she was honored, unlike all the other souls. She was allowed to skip right to the head of the long registration line, where she was immediately assigned a to a noble's home in Seretei. A privilege granted to few.

But given her contributions to the Multiverse, the Head Captain immediately ordered Mikoto be given the best accommodations. 

And already, Captain Hitsugaya was hinting that Mikoto might be headed for a lieutenant position with him, if she decided to enter the Soul Reaper academy.

In fact, Mikoto was considering it. Since she would therefore become visible to those of her world.. and even as a dead person, she could come and visit her family, perhaps still raise her children.

But training as a Soul Reaper took centuries. Ichigo had been a special case thanks to his immense spiritual power.. but Mikoto's abilities stemmed mainly in magic and esper prowess.. and her one spiritual ability, her mask, wasn't exactly well positioned in swordplay..

All in all.. was it even worth it? By the time she succeeded, her family would be dead up here with her.

That day, Mikoto sat within the Kuchiki family house, wearing a floral patterned kimono, sipping a cup of tea. 

The edo period style houses and society was definitely interesting, however, Mikoto had still had a terrible day exploring it..

She had once more, attempted to search for her father and mother, with incredibly dismal success.

There were millions of souls in Soul Society.. in fact, it wasn't even guaranteed that her father and mother could've found each other.

Mikoto had tried everything, even asking Rukia's brother Byakuya for help, which only resulted in a scary run in with Kenpachi, who had been searching for a fight with her ever since he heard Mikoto had died and come here."

So today, she just wanted to be indoors alone. To be alone with her slowly growing misery.

Mikoto sighed into her cup and looked out the window for a minute, before a sudden explosion shook the place..

"Wh-wha!?" Mikoto stammered, looking out the half open screen doors to see smoke pluming out from somewhere in Seretei. "What's going on!?"

"KKKKAAAAAKAAAARROOOOOOOTTTTTT!!!!!?" A scream suddenly roared.

"Kakarot!?" Mikoto stammered. "Where have I heard that before!?"