She wiped her face before doing the same to mine. "Why don't you stay at our house tonight?"

"I really want my own bed. We have plenty of guest rooms for you."

She smirked. "You know your room is still the same. You have a bed with us, too."

"Mom please," I released her grip to dab my eyes. "I need Jamie's scent and to be near the things that remind me of him."

"Okay, sweetie," she said.

I was glad she didn't press the issue. His pillow and t-shirts were the closest things I could get to the real thing, and I didn't want to spend the night in my childhood room. A room where I snuck in other guys and had make out sessions with men who weren't my husband. At least the memories in the lake house were only ours. I needed to be close to that.

"Thank you for coming with me. You and Jamie are the only ones who could get me through a scare like this."

She stood, kissing my cheek. "My baby is having a baby. There's no place else I'd be when you both need me."

She helped me up from the table as I straightened out my clothes and hair. A slight ache between my legs from where she scraped the polyps caused me to wince, but it beat the hell out of the alternative. It was a pain I could tolerate and live through, the other would not have been.

***

"Do you need anything before I head to bed?" my mom asked.

She'd changed into her PJs after we stopped at her house to pack a small bag and calm my dad's racing mind. He'd let out tears of relief as he held me tightly, thanking God we were all right. He encouraged my mom to stay as long as I needed her. It would be nice to have someone around for a couple of nights, even if it was because I wasn't allowed to do anything.

"I'm fine, but thank you."

"And you're sure you don't need help up the stairs?"

I shook my head. "I'm not as achy as I thought. I'll probably just call Jamie then sleep it off myself."

"I hate that he's been at work this entire time. He'll be a wreck when he finds out."

"I know. I wish it didn't have to be this way, but there's nothing we can do. He can't give up everything over a chance there'll be an accident at home."

She smiled. "You don't need to convince me, sweetie. It's him that'll need the pep talk. You know he's going to blame himself."

I sighed. "We're both feeling guilty. Can you imagine if this had happened in LA, though?"

She shuddered. "I don't even want to go there. Because then I would've been a mess, and your mom's heart is older and more fragile than his."

I giggled at her. "I'm not sure I'd trust anyone outside of Jim, Samina, or Dr. Parks to care for me anyway. I guess things do happen for a reason."

"Exactly." She tapped my knee. "Listen to the good people and get your rest, okay? I'll see you in the morning."

"Goodnight." I returned a kiss to her cheek before she departed, leaving me to a quiet, empty room.

I had called Jim the moment we walked out of the clinic doors like I'd promised. Jamie's dad was an amazing man by default; however, he'd quickly become my confidant during the pregnancy, and I appreciated how close we'd grown. His expertise soothed my nerves. Our mutual dedication to Jamie's happiness only amplified our relationship further. I was my daddy's girl, but was grateful to have another male figure to seek advice from. If it hadn't been for Jim's calming approach when I first called, I would've been a terrified mess the entire day. I was fortunate to marry into a supportive family.