Trigger: Chapter 25

Start from the beginning

Watts continued to pull me down the hall as I started struggling against him. I fought to keep Ayden in my view. He appeared to be doing well. Each time their blades collided, white and black sparks would explode in a small cloud. Looking at them closer, I realized that one twin wielded a bright white metal scythe while the other's was black. That could only mean that one was a demon while the other an angel. How could they be twins then?

With Watts still tugging desperately at my arm, I finally surrendered. Almost as soon as we both turned and continued down the hall, Ayden gave a pained yell forcing us to snap our gazes back down the hall. With one twin on each side, they'd managed to land a hit simultaneously. The blades of their scythes connected and pierced his body at the very same moment near his collarbone. Ayden fell to his knees, now bleeding even more. This wound was much more severe than the first and by the strain in his face, more painful.

"Shit," Watts muttered.

Ayden gave another yell as they pulled the blades out. Shoving Watts away from me, I sprinted as fast as I could back down the hall. All rational thoughts vanished completely from my mind as I charged toward Ayden. The twins barely paid any attention to me as I grabbed Ayden's sword of the ground and moved to block him.

"The determination in her eyes is brilliant," the demon twin remarked.

"Tragically so," the angel replied.

"The defender of the deceiver."

Still, I held my ground between the twins and Ayden. I ignored their words, my gaze unwavering. With their bored stares, I knew they weren't intimidated by me. If anything, they were laughing at my attempt.

A loud bang came suddenly from behind me making me jump about three feet. The demon twin instantly dropped to the floor with a gasp. Confused, I turned to see Ayden still kneeling with one of his guns aimed. Turning back toward the twins, he'd shot her in the leg. The other twin knelt down at her side now, cradling her sister with wide eyes. For once, her face reflected intense emotions. She was angry, surprised, and worried. Anger stood out the most among them.

"You son of a bitch!" she shrieked, standing again with her weapon ready. "I'll kill you myself!"

"We're being summoned," the other twin whispered from the floor. "Our job is done. Let's go."

The angel paused, anger and a lust for vengeance still burning in her eyes. Her weapon vanished in a puff of white smoke and she turned to scoop up her sister. Casting one, final, sharp glare toward me and Ayden, they also vanished into a shimmering blur.

Breathing heavily, I sighed, dropping Ayden's sword and facing him. Extending my hand out, I tried to help him up off the ground. He clutched the area of his chest where the twins punched that terrible gash through him. It streamed blood out onto his shirt. As I calmed down, the stinging in my stomach slowly returned.

While I felt relief, Ayden's expression seemed angry. His eyebrows pressed down against his eyes as he stared at me.

"What the fuck were you thinking running in there like that?" he scolded suddenly. "They are extremely powerful. They could have ripped you apart."

Watts jogged up beside us.

"I thought I told you to get her out of here?" Ayden muttered, wincing slightly.

"We were on our way but then you," Watts explained, trailing off. "I didn't know you could-"

"I know," Ayden interrupted. "I'm going to need Mick. Can you find him for me when you get the chance? Follow us to Cole's room in case we run into anyone else first. I don't want to take the chance of not being able to defend us efficiently."