Trigger: Chapter 18

"This is it?" I asked as I stared up at the old, rusted clock.

"You seem disappointed," Mick mentioned as he paused to look up at the building. Black, metal beams ran up along the sides, providing a frame. The same material was also bent to create the face, hands and numbers of the clock. Old and crumbling bricks formed the walls. It must have been centuries old.

While it was a beautiful structure, I found it hard to believe it'd be an appropriate place to house the center of the great "Creed" I'd been hearing so much about. Perhaps the Creed was a smaller organization than I'd originally expected?

"Home sweet home," Ayden mumbled sarcastically from behind me. He threw a casual glance over his shoulder. Shadows shifted on the far end of the street. "Well, we might as well get it over with."

Moving past me, he pushed open the small door on the side of the tower. Behind it was darkness that Ayden ignored. He swiftly moved in and disappeared. Mick moved to follow, pausing only to send me a questioning look.

"So, are you planning on spending the next few days out here?" Mick asked, raising a brow. "Considering Ayden's only here to make sure you're protected, I don't think it's that great of an idea."

I shook my head, quickly moving towards the door. I was still trying to fully comprehend how the Creed could possibly operate from inside a clock tower. There would barely be enough room for fifty people to comfortably fit inside, depending on the amount of floors. This organization was responsible for defending the world against both thousands of angels and thousands of demons… They needed more than fifty members.

"Why's it so dark?" I asked as I cautiously moved inside the door before Mick.

A hand clasped around mind and tugged me to the side. With a light gasp, I turned towards it to find half of Ayden's face illuminated by the light seeping in through the door. Turning, I saw he'd pulled me away from walking directly into a wall. Inside the door wasn't an open room, but a tiny hall. Leading me by my hand, Ayden tugged me along behind him down the dark corridor.

"No one really goes this way unless they have to," he answered. "Since we have you, we're going this way."

Mick stepped in behind us, shutting the door and leaving us in darkness. Surrounded by a sudden vulnerability, I subconsciously squeezed Ayden's hand a little tighter and quickened my pace so I was directly behind him. I could almost hear him smiling in front of me as he squeezed my hand back.

"I almost forgot why we stopped going this way," Mick mumbled from behind. "I can't see shit."

The passage was tight and cramped. With only enough room for one person at a time, we moved in a line. I couldn't see it but the few times my skin brushed against the wall, I felt the course surface. I could guess it was made of the same bricks as the outside of the building.

"You're the angel, you know. Don't you know some little trick to help us out?" Ayden questioned as he lead us deeper into the darkness. Mick chuckled.

"I haven't used that in years…" he remarked.

"Well, now seems like a good time to make it happen."

"Alright," Mick agreed uneasily. "I really haven't tried this in a while."

"Come on, glow worm. I believe in you," Ayden teased.

Ayden stopped moving. I gently bumped against his back and Mick followed soon after. He grunted softly as I was sandwiched between him and Ayden before quickly backing away.

"A little warning would have been nice."

"I don't know where to go next. That light would be really helpful right now," Ayden retorted. I noticed that his voice sounded closer. He'd shifted to face me and Mick despite the darkness. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me in closer. "I never would have guessed you'd be so afraid of the dark," he whispered teasingly.