Trigger: Chapter 22

A comfortable silence fell between us. Ayden was plotting revenge and I was planning my next question. Talking to Ayden was sometimes like a puzzle. You had to ask the right questions at the right time and in the right way to get the right answer. It was all a very intricate and very annoying process. Still, this may be my only chance to get some real answers.

"So, what's with her anyway? Did you pick her?" I asked, nodding in Melinda's direction.

Ayden chuckled at the thought, tilting his head down slightly and shaking it back and forth.

"Actually, no. In fact, this was all incredibly unplanned. I've been kind of making it up as I go along but I have to admit, this shithole town was never part of the plan."

"What's the plan?" Too direct.

"Now, now, you know I don't like to spoil surprises," he taunted. "It will mess with the whole grand scheme of things."

I rolled my eyes at the expected response. I was losing this round.

"Of course, but what if I won't like the end of this one?"

"You know you won't," he stated bluntly. There was no humor in his tone. "But stop worrying so much. You're my best friend Micky – practically a brother. I'd never hurt you."

He said the last part with such an easygoing tone as if it were nothing. Topping it off with a grin, he went to glance back over at Melinda. Still, no matter what façade he tried to put up, there was always that underlying truth snaking its way into his eyes and bleeding out. It killed me not knowing what could cause him so much pain but at the same time, I knew it'd kill me to know.

"I know you wouldn't," I muttered. I could only guess what he was up to. Knowing him, it was excessively rash considering almost everything he did was. This time, I worried he might just press the limit. "Why are you keeping her around if it's not that you care about her?"

"She's a puzzle piece – a vital one at that. Without her, everything will fall apart," he paused. His expression fell blank. His pride kept him from admitting to caring about her but in turn forced him to reveal some insight into this so called "plan" of his.

"Isn't that your lovely damsel in distress out there with our newest trainee?" came a mocking voice from behind us. Simultaneously turning, Ayden and I found Cole looming over us. Just as we were, he was fixated on the couple on the dance floor. Ayden's expression hardened and he turned to scowl yet again.

"I don't know what makes you guys think I've suddenly gone blind. Yes, I can in fact see that Melinda is dancing with that damn bastard," Ayden shot tiredly.

Snickering, Cole shrugged.

"I just thought you'd like to know."

"The fact that that poor boy's still breathing is what threw me off," I added.

Ayden threw his eyes to the ceiling.

"That is true too," Cole agreed with a nod. "I am also quite surprised." Cole trailed off. Looking at him, I realized he'd suddenly gotten a strangely motivated expression. He grinned widely to himself.

"If you'll excuse me boys, I have a dance to attend to," he suddenly announced patting Ayden on the shoulder. Straightening up, he started in the direction of the floor. Oh boy. Cole always knew how to get a rise out of Ayden.

Thinking about Ayden, I glared. I could feel the weight of his gaze but willed myself with all my might not to look. Remaining solely focused on watching Jason's feet, I barely looked up. I didn't even bother to attempt any actual dancing at this point so I gave Jason credit for continuing to try to push me around to the beat. At this point, I was only dead weight. Still, he held up pretty well until he suddenly jerked to a stop with a grunt.