Trigger: Chapter 12

The next few days I saw Mick less and less. He came in a few times to check on me but for the most part, he was busy trying to raise his rank to get my keys. The angels were being rough on him. The few times I did see him, he was battered up more and more with bruises and blotches all over him. I was so worried about how long I could handle this small room that I forgot to think about how long he’d be able to hold up pretending to be part of this harsh society.

Nights and days meshed together. I couldn’t tell which was which. Eventually, I stopped trying and decided whenever I slept it must be night and whenever I was awake would serve as day. I’ve slept about twelve times since I’ve got here. As I snuggled into the sheets, I prepared myself for the thirteenth night.

I could hear the soft jingle of the chains as they slowly slid off the sheets through the darkness. My eyes opened just as I was yanked off the bed by them. Landing on my stomach this time, I whimpered. A heavy boot found its way to my gut, flipping me on my back as it liquidated my spleen.

“What’s going on?” I choked out, clutching my sides in pain. I crumpled my body into a ball and rolled on my side to look around.

A thick man stared down at me with his hands on his hips. He had a proud stance as he loomed over me with a grin.

“Well, well, Griffin. I can see why you chose her,” he muttered. “She’s stunning, though a little ordinary for my taste. She’s not worth the fight you put up for her.”

My gaze drifted from the man standing above me to a heap on the floor behind him. It let out a groan.

“Mick?!” I exclaimed suddenly, scrambling towards the heap.

The man stayed in his place as he watched me crawl towards him. Once I was finally close enough, I reached out to touch him but my chains tightened, abruptly stopping my advancing hand by the wrist.

My head snapped back to look at the wall. They weren’t long enough. Glaring at the length, I pulled at them angrily.

“Mick! Mick, get up!” I yelled.

The man snickered darkly from his place.

“My, isn’t this romantic. Now I understand. That’s why he’s been keeping you so clean. That’s why he’s been so careful,” he muttered to himself in observation. “Such a shame, I won’t be so considerate.”

As the words slipped from his mouth, he grabbed the chains outstretched in front of him and gave them a hard yank. Before I could react, I was pulled roughly back in his direction. My hands desperately tried to grasp onto something, anything, to stop it. With nothing but bare floor, I was pulled all the way to him.

He lifted me up with the chains so that I was dangling by my arms. He wrapped his arms around me tightly and tossed me carelessly onto the bed.

“A Plain Jane but I’ll still take it,” he commented as he climbed on the bed over me.

I yelped and screamed, trying to use my legs and arms to smack him away. Sitting on my stomach, he started to pull my shirt above my head.

“No! Stop!” My heart raced. My breathing got heavier as I continued to thrash under him.

Once he pinned my hands down, my struggle started to lessen. I realized I was too weak to fight him off. I pinched my eyes shut. He abandoned the idea of getting my shirt off and moved one hand to my exposed thigh. Using his finger, he began to trace lines up beneath my skirt.

“Please… stop it…” I whispered desperately, tears forming in the corners of my eyes.

“She said stop,” a voice growled from behind the man.