Trigger: Chapter 11

Two guards came in. One dropped a tray of food on the floor and gestured towards it for me to eat. Having not eaten for days, I was starving. I reached down and devoured everything on the plate. Honestly, it was messy and unattractive and probably resembled something off the discovery channel.

“Hm, seems like someone slapped a good appetite into you,” the one man sneered.

The other man nudged him with his elbow.

“He’s probably making her eat to make sure she has enough energy for him,” he snickered.

I glared at the two of them but continued engulfing all the contents of the tray until it was empty. They just watched and continued to talk as if I couldn’t hear them.

“How did the new guy end up with a claim on this piece? We didn’t even get a shot and we’ve been here longer,” the one whined, looking me up and down.

“He may be new but don’t underestimate him. I heard he’s quite powerful and has taken down any challenger with ease,” the one answered. “So it’s not like he’s not playing by the rules. He’s accepted every single challenge thrown at him. If you really want her, challenge him.”

The guy stopped looking me over to roll his eyes with a sigh. He crossed his arms over his chest, slightly slumped and huffed.

“It’s not worth it,” he grumbled.

“It’s really not. The only reason she’s even here is to help us catch the hunter. Once he’s out of the way, they’ll be no need to keep her around,” the other shrugged.

“The hunter? Ayden Daier? How is a human girl supposed to help us catch him?”

The first one smirked.

“She’s his little toy and from what I hear, he wants her back.”

I wanted to speak up. I wanted to tell them they were wrong and that Ayden wouldn’t come for me. I wanted to explain how I’m nothing like that to him and he’s just trying to help me get home. I wanted to tell them that they had no chance and if he did come, that he’d kick their angel asses. But instead, I kept quiet. That’s what Mick told me to do…

“Anyway, let’s get out of here,” the other said finally, scooping up the empty tray and walking out the door.

Once the door clicked shut, I pushed myself off the bed and started to walk across the room. There wasn’t much space in the cramped room but my chains were tight before I reached the opposite wall. It was like being stuck in a nicely painted jail cell.

The chains stretched out to form two straight, parallel lines between me and the wall they were attached too. I pulled at them angrily wishing my adrenaline would give me enough strength to break them right off the walls like some sort of great animal. I knew I was fooling myself and it was impossible. Still, I continued to pull.

I wasn’t even sure how long I’d been here but it was starting to weigh on me. At this point, all I wanted was to go home. With a sigh, I let myself slump down onto the ground, the chains still tight. I gave them another hard yank from my place the floor before giving up.

*

“Melinda?”

“Hm?” I hummed groggily.

“Why are you on the floor?”

I looked up to see Mick staring down at me with concerned eyes. It was refreshing to see such a warm face when everyone else didn’t think I was anything more than an object they had to feed. My back was stiff and sore from laying the flat ground.