Chapter 22

-ONE MONTH LATER-

RILEY'S POV

"What do we say to her?" We were all standing around outside the room where Lucas lay. Farkle looked at me, peeling his eyes from the window. "We don't." I held onto him.

"We can't just let her live here." Smackle pointed out. "I'm going in." I walked in, closing the door behind me

"Hey stranger." She looked up at me, turning from Lucas. She looked sick almost. "He, um... he hasn't woken up yet." Her voice sounded dry and sore. "Maya." I said sympathetically. She walked over and hugged me. I stroked her hair hoping to calm her. Before I could even inhale she started crying again. "No, no peaches don't cry!" I held her close.

"I can't live without him!" She pulled back, my arms still holding onto her waist. "He is gonna wake up soon, and he is going to look at your beautiful face and wonder why he didn't wake up earlier. Now lets get you home and cleaned up, and a good nights rest. Okay?" She looked over at Lucas with sore eyes. "Yeah."

She nodded and I guided her back into the hallway. Farkle grabbed onto her free side, squishing her in the middle. We laughed and Maya smiled. Farkle looked at me and we knew she was going to be just fine.

MAYA'S POV

Riley had forced me to eat. She bought me smoothies, and burgers. I told her I was fine, that I wanted to go back to the hospital. I guess she was a good friend for doing that but it was late. "You're going to go home and shower, then go to sleep." I glared at her.

"Riley I'll be fine, just take me home." I got up and walked outside. It was a lot warmer than I remember. Riley was quick to follow. She seemed to notice my shock towards the heat. "Maya you were in the hospital for two weeks, Its not April anymore." I ignored her and walked to the car, jumping in.

The whole way home Riley and Farkle talked like an old married couple. I zoned them out until I heard Farkle's phone ring. Riley listened closely. She was constantly looking in her review mirror, watching me. I pretended not to hear the conversation. He was talking to someone at an auto shop. When he ended the call he started whispering to Riley.

"We can go get his truck tomorrow, Riley I'm not sure getting Lucas' truck fixed was the best idea. How are we going to pay for the repairs?" He glanced my way and once again I pretended not to notice. "I can ask my parents for the money, they liked him too, I'm sure they wouldn't mind."

I forgot about his truck. Momentarily I remembered the other driver. "The other driver, is he okay?" Rileys eyes widened. It was clear she knew exactly what was wrong. "Maya, they uh..." She paused. "They found his body about ten feet away from the crash." She looked at Farkle. "He died on impact, then was thrown out the front windshield." I started choking, holding back tears. The rest of the car ride was quiet.

I walked through the front door behind Riley. "What the hell?" There was new furniture and artwork everywhere. I stared at them looking for an explanation. "Riley? Farkle?" They were hiding something from me and I didn't like it. "Smackle and Zay re-arranged the house. We kinda helped." Farkle and Riley shared nervous glances. "Like what?" I was angry they never said anything. "Maya you should-" I kept walking and Farkle cut Riley off.

"Riley and I are sharing her bedroom, Smackle and Zay are in Smackles room. And you and Lucas are still in your room." I turned to look at him. "The basement is now a hangout type room and the kitchen stayed the same." I didn't know what to say so I just went to my room.

The warm water of the shower made me think clearer. The only thing I can do right now is be there for Lucas when he wakes up. The whole thing was scary, slowly his cuts and bruises faded. Yet he still didn't wake up and that is what scared me the most.

My bedroom was dark but I wasn't going to turn the lights on. I was too afraid to see what I looked like. I laid in bed for awhile trying to sleep. Turns out I'm more scared now than I was a month ago.

The next morning Riley brought donuts and pancakes. I ate quick shocking everyone at the table. I waited in the living room for someone to take me. Zay volunteered.

"If... If you want we can go get the truck first." He sounded almost nervous to be around me. Without looking at him I spit out, "I haven't changed, don't talk to me like I have." He started at me in awe. "I'm not sure thats true."

"Okay, so maybe I'm a little depressed. You would be too if the person you loved was in a coma!" I ended yelling, that wasn't my intention. "Remember two years ago when you told me why you were running." He kept his eyes on the road. "Yeah, so?" He continued.

"You took my advice then, take it now. Lucas is going to wake up soon. I promise you. And when he does he is going to see how much of a mess you are. Thats the face he's going to see." I looked at him, he was really trying to help me. "So what, I'm a little broken. We just went over this." He looked at me. He sees right through me.

"But your not. Look at you, look at all you have accomplished. You're not broke you just think you are. I need you to believe in yourself Maya." We were almost at the hospital.

"Well I can't Zay, 'cuz don't believe, don't get hurt. Because I believed in Lucas. And now were both hurt." After that we were both quiet. I looked in the mirror on the passenger side and saw Riley and Farkle behind us. It didn't bother me.

I walked down that depressing hallway, wishing I didn't have to. His arms were cold. I don't know anything about people in a coma but this doesn't feel right.

(a/n) Don't hate me.