Chapter 16

LUCAS' POV

Before either of us could continue talking Smackle burst through the door and looked around until she spotted us. "Hello." She smiled and started walking over. Maya looked at me then went to see Smackle also. They gave hugs and talked about the time she spent with her family.

"No offense Smackle, but I thought you were supposed to back two days from now." She didn't seem to mind my rude question. "Well I was but then Riley said everyone was coming home early. I'm not exactly sure why, but they should show up shortly." I nodded and walked into the kitchen, making myself a sandwich.

I took my sandwich to my bedroom, nodding at Maya to follow. I was hoping she could slip away so we could continue talking. It wasn't long before she ran down the stairs.

"We've got five minutes, go." I took another bite of my sandwich. "I believe it was your part of the conversation." She glared at me and I finished chewing.

"I love you too." Her eyes glowed under the dim lighting. "Thats not an answer, Lucas." She was one thousand percent serious. "If I could have one thing in my entire lifetime," I stared at her ocean eyes. "It would be you." She smiled and hugged me.

"Or superpowers." She laughed but glared at me. Riley yelled from the door and I released her from my arms and we went upstairs.

Quickly realizing everyone had come home there were 'hellos' and such. "Can I talk to you?" Riley whispered in my ear. We stepped outside, still able to see everyone through the glass door. I gave her a hug and she kissed me. I asked about her family and Auggie.

"How was she." She jumped topics. "You didn't even answe-" I started. "Lucas." For some reason she had to ask me. "She was fine, quiet but fine. She made me pancakes." Riley sighed with relief. She gave me another kiss before heading back inside.

MAYA'S POV

I watched Lucas and Riley kiss through the door. We we werent technically "dating" but It sure sounded like we were headed in that direction. I would have assumed he would have said something by now.

The more I thought about it the sadder I got. I tried to sneak away unnoticed before my mascara ended up all over my face. I guess I'm not good at going unnoticed.

Three quiet thuds were sent through my door followed by Lucas walking in. "You okay?" I was facing the opposite wall, unable to see him. "That depends Lucas, how is this conversation going to end." I turned around. "Its either kissing or yelling you choose." He looked confused.  "Niether?"

"I can't keep doing this!" The sound was shaky from the tears. "You're so back and fourth! Not even a full two hours ago you said you wanted me! Yet Riley is down there looking for her boyfriend." I felt I have given this speech too much.

"Maya-" Now was not the time for him to speak. "I have been through a lot these past few months. Just tell me," My eyes pleaded for the truth. "Riley or me. Because you can't have it both ways." He looked shocked.

"Maya, are you really going to make me choose?" I can't believe he asked me that. "Yes Lucas I am!"

RILEY'S POV

I was wondering where Lucas was when I heard his voice upstairs. Maya looked hurt and so did Lucas. I slowly approached the half-open door. "Whats going on?" Maya shifted her gaze at me.

"He chose you." She sounded shocked and on the verge of tears, but walked passed me. Lucas' body didn't move but his head moved in my direction.

I turned and stood at the top of the stairs. Maya was almost out the door when she stopped. Everyone was watching her. "No, I'm not gonna do this." She took a few steps forward. Farkle turned off the music.

"I said I was going to stop running and start fighting. This is what I'm fighting for Lucas!" She seemed so upset, I turned my head to look at him.

MAYA'S POV

"Two hours ago, you spilled out a list of little things you noticed I do. Then after that I gave a speech, much like this one, about how much I need you. Before all of this I told you I go insane without you! Then you said you loved me and that you needed me!" He was at the top of the stairs now. "When are your heart and your brain going to start working together?" I was shaking and my heart was racing.

I took a deep breath feeling my body shake. "Do you remember what I told you," My voice was quieter now. "About how love is like falling, slowly then all at once. Well I fell Lucas, right off a cliff." I didn't know if he was going to say something or if I could leave. I stood there for a minute turning to leave when Riley, to my surprise, called out my name.

"Maya!" She walked down a few steps. "Don't leave." By now everyone in the living room had sat down. "You can have him."

"You think thats what I want? I don't want you telling me to have him. I want him telling me he wants me." I looked in his direction. "I want him to say the kiss we had meant something to him because it did, and I know it. I want him to stop playing with my head and just tell me the fucking truth!" My words were louder as I neared the end of my sentence

"I don't know what to say." He walked down the few steps into the living room as well. "No, I'm sure you don't. Because If you did know, we wouldn't be standing here, now would we."

This time I really did walk out. I wasn't aware of how cold it was but I didn't want to drive anywhere. I kept walking until I couldn't.

(a/n) I just wrote so fucking much omg
Instagram > sabrinas_mirage