Chapter 42 - Twenty Eight

As soon as I saw the iconic blue colour, I knew Louis' surprise could only involve one thing: The Blue Jays. Toronto Jays fans, me included, go nuts for our team. Not only have they been playing well over the last few years, but they are the only Major League Baseball team in Canada. (Sorry, Expos, you Youppi! no more.) Consequently, when they hit the playoffs, the whole nation rallies around them. People come from all over the fill the Rogers Centre in a sea of blue and white. Stub Hub tickets are a hotter commodity than Heisenberg's meth.

I plunge my hand into the bag and pull out the surprise. It's a Jays jersey. Blue, the very style and colour I have always wanted to get, but couldn't afford on a student's income.

"I love it, Lou! I've always wanted one!"

"Thought you could wear it at the game tonight. I got a sweet hook up for some prime seats. A fun night out together," responds Louis, smiling at me.

"Like I said, I am all in," I respond, beaming. "I love the Jays!" I take a moment to spin the jersey around to see which player 's name will be gracing my back. I look down and note a very large 28. Hmm. Not one of my current faves. Wasn't Colby Rasmus a 28? But the mystery is solved before I have to think much harder. Plastered across the top of the jersey in bold white letters is one name, and one name alone.

"Tommo," I read. "Are we staking a claim here?"

"Maybe, a little," replies Louis with a smirk. "Mine is white and says Tomlinson. Figure that way I could have interchangeable jerseys."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah, luv," he replies, pulling me close so that I tumble on to his lap. "Besides, I like the idea of marking you with my name. Ensures you're mine."

My heart skips a beat.

"You'll still have to play your cards right, Tommo".

"I'd rather pitch a no-hitter, and let my team get a good crack at a homerun," Louis retorts with a smile. He leans forward and places a sweet kiss on my lips. It takes all of my concentration not make out with him then and there. Being this close to him is driving me crazy. Forget the weather, we've got all sorts of heat right here.

Louis pecks my lips and taps my hip, indicating that I should stand up. "You'd better get back to work young lady."

"Seems like it," I say with a wink. "Because right now the only thing you are threatening to pitch is a tent." I glance down at Louis' crotch, enjoying the obvious strain on the fabric.

"S'compliment, luv."

"It had better come with follow through, babe, because I am ready to see these bases loaded." I give my arms a small squeeze, pressing my breasts together and allowing a small crest of cleavage to become visible over the top of my shirt.

Louis adjusts himself, and gives me a very suggestive look. The blues of his eyes have darkened a shade or two. He licks his lips slowly and a small shiver of anticipation rolls down my spine.

"Drink your coffee, Lou. I'll see you at the end of my shift."

"I'll be waiting outside for you."

"You'd better be."

The rest of my work day seemed to simultaneously drag and flyby. An oxymoron in the making. It dragged because it seemed like ages had passed after Louis finished his coffee and headed out.  A final conspiratorial wink promising a great evening. Yet, a steady stream of customers kept me busy so idle time was kept to a minimum.

I was buzzing with excitement when the clock struck 6 pm. I finished up my last order and then cashed out my till. Claire and Steve were closing the store, so I didn't have any other major tasks. I practically sprinted back to grab my back, tripping on the doorway transition. As I steadied myself, I remembered my new motto. Chill.