Chapter 7: Power Trip.

Start from the beginning

"Okay, it's hot as hell now," Layla commented as she took off her coat. She was dressed in a white South Pole winter coat with gold buttons and some basic black jeans.

    Darien smirked and then licked his lips. "Now you know if I cut this heat off, you gon freeze," he noted. "I like that top on you." he complimented. "What you 'bout to go do, hit a lick or some shit?" he joked.

    She chuckled. "Just because I wear all black doesn't mean I'm a hitta." The conversation went dead for a second as she bent forth and cut the radio on. She flicked through the channels and discovered an R&B station. A song from the musician Mario popped on. "I love this song, babe," she informed him and then began to sing the words.

   Darien glanced over to Layla and admired her beauty as she hummed to the tune of the song. As he admired her, a grin glided across his face. Layla could be corny and lame sometimes, but Darien loved it. Layla was different than the typical girls he was used to dating. Layla moved closer and laid her head on his shoulder, and he lightly stroked the top of her head and gave it a kiss.

   Darien thought Layla was a charming, smart, and attractive girl. He acknowledged that she was a prize and he had hit the jackpot. Layla was beyond beautiful, and any guy would kill to have her sitting beside them. She was by far better looking than any female he'd ever dated, and she wasn't ratchet-like them either. Everything about her was perfect and captivated his attention. Layla was five-foot-four. Darien wasn't really into short girls, but for Layla, he made an exception.

    What she lacked in height she made up for in sex appeal. Layla had long black hair. It was kinky and wild. He also loved how curvy she was. She had brown, almond-shaped eyes, and her skin was fair and pimple-free, and she had a smile that lit up the room. Her smile was one thing Darien loved the most. He loved a woman with good oral hygiene. Besides her physical attributes, he loved how her mentality toward life was. She was a go with the flow type of chick. Layla didn't like to argue, and she gave him free rein to do as he pleased. She respected that he didn't want to be tied down, especially this early in life. He also loved the fact that she was unapproachable and not friendly with everybody. He didn't have to worry about her smiling up in other nigga's faces, or kickin' it with too many bitches. Darien loved for his girlfriends to be stuck up. If you were friendly, he ain't want you, and Layla definitely wasn't friendly. She had a stuck up personality. If Layla didn't know you, she wouldn't converse, and she definitely wasn't scared to stand up and speak her mind. Layla was everything that Kanesha wasn't.

   Layla glanced over and noticed that Darien was staring at her. Her cheeks were starting to warm up, and she knew it wouldn't be long before her bright ass turned red. "What?" she asked as she turned her head away slightly to avoid eye contact.

   Darien's mouth twitched. "Nothing," he answered. "You just so beautiful, ma." he complimented.

   Butterflies fluttered around in her stomach. "Thank you." she said, accepting her boyfriend's praise. He always complimenting me, she thought. I know he can see me blushing, she thought as she placed her hand on her cheek. She knew that her cheeks were probably beet red as she blushed from his compliment. She should have been used to it now, but she wasn't; however, she still enjoyed it.

"You're welcome, babe." he soothed as he turned her head back towards him. Darien placed his hand on her thigh and gently squeezed it. His swift movement made Layla tense up. She wasn't used to him doing that. Darien noticed the change in her demeanor and moved his hand away. "You good?" he asked. "Did that make you uncomfortable? Why you so jumpy?" he asked.

"Nah, I'm good," she answered as she crossed her legs and folded her arms. "Why you ask?" Layla removed Darien's hand off her chin, placed it to her lips, and held his hand. Layla looked over at him and smiled.