Denial

Mount Justice

August 19, 19:39 EDT

"Initiate Combat Training"

At the Cave, Artemis, M'gann, and I stand at the side watching Kaldur and Superboy sparring on the training floor. Each of them paced around each other ready in his fighting stance.

"3 2 1"

They each lunge forward either throwing punches or throwing kicks. Superboy throws a punch but Kaldur backflips as a dodging maneuver.

"Kaldur's, uh, nice, don't you think?" Artemis asks. "Handsome. Commanding. One of you should totally ask him out."

"He's like a big brother to me," M'gann says. "But you know who would make the cutest couple? Scarlette and Wally."

My eyes widen from her comment. We all look to Wally who is chewing and gobbling a burrito right next to us.

"Look. Just because I gave him mouth to mouth does not mean that I am in love with him okay?" I say. I grin at her looking at a shirtless Superboy. "Plus, we all know who you want, Meg." She blushes.

"Come on, Scar. I see the way he's been looking at you and you look at him the same way too. You're so full of passion, and he's so full of, uh--of--," M'gann replies.

"Food?" I ask. We all laugh. Just then, Superboy flips Aqualad over making him land on the ground with a hard thud.

"Fail--Aqualad." Standing in victory, Superboy smirks at Aqualad and dusts off his hands.

"Black Canary taught me that," Superboy smirks.

"I gotta say my Aunt taught you very well, Superboy. Those lessons are really paying off," I comment to him causing him to smile at me.

From the ceiling, Red Tornado flies down towards the ground..

Wally speeds over to Red Tornado. "Do you have a mission for us?"

"Mission assignments are the Batman's responsibility," Red Tornado responds.

"Yeah. Well, the Batman's with the Robin doing the dynamic duo thing in Gotham. But you're headed somewhere, right? Hot date or a--a mission?"

"If we can be of help," Aqualad adds.

Typing on the computer, Red Tornado pulls up a picture of an elderly, dressed man holding a cane.

"This is Kent Nelson, a friend. He is 106 years old." Red Tornado says.

"Guy doesn't look a day over 90," Wally whispers to me.

"Must be a magical moisturizer," I say making us giggle.

"And he has been missing for 23 days. Kent was a charter member of the Justice Society. The precursor to your mentors' Justice League."

The picture of the old man shifts into a man wearing a gold helmet and a gold uniform.

"Of course. Nelson was earth's sorcerer supreme. He was Doctor Fate," Aqualad says.

Wally scoffs, "More like Doctor Fake. Guy knows a little advanced science and 'dumbledores' it up to scare the bad guys and impress the babes."

I cock my eyebrow at him.

"Kent may simply be on one of his walkabouts. But he is caretaker to the helmet of fate, the source of the Doctor's mystic might. And it is unwise to leave such power unguarded."

"The Doctor Fate. I read about him in the League's history books and magical archives. He's like one of the

greatest sorcerers ever. I would be honored to help find him," I say. I look around seeing everyone looking at me oddly.