This Is Our End (Rose's Scabbard)

Pearl stands alone in the Strawberry Battlefield, embracing the giant pink scabbard with the sword inside. A lion jumps out of a portal onto the field with Steven riding on it. "PEARL?!" Pearl looks over at Steven and she darts off.

She pants as she tries to get away from him. "LEAVE ME ALONE!" She keeps going as the lion starts chasing her. The lion jumps out of another portal alongside her with a roar. Steven smiles to his right. "Pearl, wait for me!"

Pearl gasps and she runs faster until she reaches a cliff. She immediately jumps off onto a mountain of floating rocks. She jumps from one to the other with a grunt. "GET THAT THING AWAY FROM ME!" She keeps going, desperately getting away.

Steven looks down his lion. "You'd better sit this one out lion." The lion yawns as he dismounts onto the cliff. Steven dashes to the rocks. He jumps and he struggles hanging onto one. He looks up as he watches Pearl getting farther and farther away from him.

"OKAY! I HAD A TALK WITH LION!" He jumps into the next rock with a grunt. "HE'S GONNA-!" He jumps into the next rock. "CHILL OUT HERE!" He jumps onto the next one. "WE'RE ALONE NOW! NICE AND PRIVATE!" Steven chases her up from one rock to the next.

"UH...GOOD IDEA! I'LL MEET YOU AT THE TOP!" He keeps going until he stumbles, rotating the rock. He collapses onto it and he hangs on until the rock stops spinning. He looks up. "THIS IS REALLY HARD TO DO IN SANDALS!" He gives a nervous chuckle.

Pearl yells on the giant platform about a yard away from him. "GO AWAY!" Steven gets up as his face sweats with tension. "PEARL! DID I-DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG! YOU GOTTA TELL ME!" Steven looks down at the rock he's standing on.

He back up until his foot reaches the edge before runs and jumps with a yell, determined to get to the next platform. He floats over a moment until Pearl whips a glare at him, causing him to start falling. Pearl squats and looks him in terror.

"Steven!" Steven desperately tries to get ahold of a vine attached to the rock. At the last minute, Steven tries one last attempt to save his life...but the vine snaps and Steven screams as he falls into the abyss below him.

He looks back up one last time to see Pearl covering her mouth before he closes his eyes, never to open them to see the light of day again. Pearl gets up and she backs away. "Oh no!" She collapses onto the platform. She pounds it with a fist. "ROSE!"

"This...this is all my fault!" She sobs for a while, covering her face. After what seems like an eternity, Pearl finally stops crying. She looks up at the moon and she sniffs. "Why did she choose him after all those years? We...
we used to...be quite a team...her and me."

She looks back out at the fields. "We fought our battle in the moonlight. It was also the last time I...ever saw her. The last time she ever...saw me. We fought long and hard only to lose each other. And now, Steven is gone and I'm just...alone out here."

"How could the feelings that come from a war be taken over by simplistic human love? I don't understand how things have turned out this way. I just ran away until I couldn't anymore. I can't go back. I ran too far."

Pearl places a hand on the grass and she takes a deep breath. "This is the place in which many Crystal Gems have been shattered and lost. This is the place of peace and liberation for all of Gemkind and humanity. It's just so peaceful." She stands up.

"I...I want this to be the place." She smiles as she closes her eyes. Her gem glows and she pulls out a single spear. She looks down at it as she holds it firmly with both hands. "This is our place, Rose." Her eyes well up again. "This is...our end that we have dreamt for so long and hard for."

She turns the spear the other way and she impales the ground with the tip. She hears the crunch of the rock and a tear escapes from her eye. She takes the scabbard and she slides the sword out of its sheath. She gazes into it as the rebellion flashes before her eyes.

She turns the the sword tip to her chest. She closes her eyes before she impales herself. She gasps, abruptly opening her eyes as she looks up at the stars in the sky one last time. She poofs and her gem drops onto the grassy platform next to the spear.